VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Attempted Suicide

Rate this question

mrkman12

Question

question,

in regards to the act or attempt of suicide in service, what constitutes verifiable mental unsoundness?

what proof is required, and what is the dividing line between unstability, vice willful-misconduct?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Texas Veterans Service at Waco are pretty good at their job just rarely push claims. My advice is to stay on top of your claim.

Good Luck

pete thank you for the advice.

am presently waiting as instructed by the vso until september which will be the 18 month since inception of my nod, vso states that I have a real good case and does not want to rock the boat on the ptsd claim. Do you think this is a clear avenue to follow? Have been turning clinical notes from my weekly sessions with the shrink and am following my medication reginment as directed. Still am unemployed and am seeking unemployement compensation presently while addressing social security for ssdi.

yep yep, it's like telling someone who's suicidal not to do it because it's illegal. Huh

frank

I can't see suicide as willful misconduct. I know there may be some guy out there who kills himself for insurance money to go to his wife and kids, but that does not sound like the act of a person of sound mind. I see suicide as a rational reaction of intractable pain, but is it misconduct??? The VA just does all it can not to pay.

Texas Veterans Service at Waco are pretty good at their job just rarely push claims. My advice is to stay on top of your claim.

Good Luck

I am taking your advise, and tend to listen to those who appear to have a wide range of experience with the va. I just considering if I should file a claim for depression since the attempted episode is in the service medical records. That the va shrinks diagnosed major depressive disorder almost two years ago and that it is severe and recurrent along with the ptsd which is severe and manifest chronically. Would waiting for the PTSD rating be similar since they are all psychiatric disorders?

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are not a combat Vet it is very hard to get VA to get off the dime for a stressor. Going for major depression as per your records is probably a better way to go.

Good Luck

I think all that you need to do is to send a letter to VARO and say that you want them to consider major depression and cite the info that you have in your records.