VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Where To Begin

Rate this question

Shallz

Question

I am retiring soon after 23 active years in the Navy. I do not know where they will be doing my disability medicalm screening at. I am retiring in Japan and going back home to Tennessee, so I am guessing either at the VA hospital in Murfresboro or Nashville.

I have no idea what % if any disability I will be entiteled for, buit have the following issues:

• Some documeneted hearing loss, not sure of the level
  • Hypertension, on high blood pressure meds for last 4 years
  • Sleep apnea: sleep with the CPAP machine
  • Lower back pain: I have had 2 surguries while on active duty but still deal with constant pain in lower back. 1.) First surgery was a discectomy at Balboa Hospital in 1998 for L-5/S-1 herniated disc. 2.) Second surgery was for a recurring disc herniation of the L-5/S-1, which during the suregery at CAMP Foster, Okinawa they discoverd I also had a broken Facia bone. I now deal with constant pain in lower back and have to take meds for mouscle spasms in my lower back 4-5 times a year.
  • Also, I worked around asbestos on my old ships from 1988-1993. However, I have no issues to date that I know of.

What should I do for the medical board other than take my medical record which does have all this above it it? Should I expect to get any disability at all? I am thinking my back should get me something, but not sure what level.

Thanks,

Scott

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Scott,

Others will chime in, but I know about two of them. Both HTN and OSA should be service-connected. Since you use a CPAP, it is supposed to be an auto-magic 50%, and you qualify for HTN 10% at a minimum.

Louis

• HadIt.com Elder
I am retiring soon after 23 active years in the Navy. I do not know where they will be doing my disability medicalm screening at. I am retiring in Japan and going back home to Tennessee, so I am guessing either at the VA hospital in Murfresboro or Nashville.

I have no idea what % if any disability I will be entiteled for, buit have the following issues:

• Some documeneted hearing loss, not sure of the level
  • Hypertension, on high blood pressure meds for last 4 years
  • Sleep apnea: sleep with the CPAP machine
  • Lower back pain: I have had 2 surguries while on active duty but still deal with constant pain in lower back. 1.) First surgery was a discectomy at Balboa Hospital in 1998 for L-5/S-1 herniated disc. 2.) Second surgery was for a recurring disc herniation of the L-5/S-1, which during the suregery at CAMP Foster, Okinawa they discoverd I also had a broken Facia bone. I now deal with constant pain in lower back and have to take meds for mouscle spasms in my lower back 4-5 times a year.
  • Also, I worked around asbestos on my old ships from 1988-1993. However, I have no issues to date that I know of.

What should I do for the medical board other than take my medical record which does have all this above it it? Should I expect to get any disability at all? I am thinking my back should get me something, but not sure what level.

Thanks,

Scott

Shipmate, Thank you for your service.

Fot all of your ailments, you need a complete copy of your Service Medical Record before you get out.

File your claim for hearing loss asit depends on the level of disability. You can look at the levels of hearing and compare them to the 38 cfr part 4 to get a closer look at the actual hearing reuslts and a percentage.

For the Hypertension, you can do the same thing records wise and also view the perccentages vs the level of disability. keep this in mind. The compensable readings even with medication must be a minimum of 160 over 100 to get 10 percent. These have to be predominant at or above this level. Otherwise they will 0 percent it.

You are using a CPAP machine for the OSA and it is 50 percent according to the regs.

Your back will be rated most likely as degenerative joint disease since it is post fusion and you will be rated on the range of motion.

If you have any merve problems related to the back, they will be rated separately.

Again, It is imparative you keep copies all records. Even the surgery records from Balboa and Okinawa.

You should have no problems getting your service connection.

Here is a link tothe schedule for rating disabilities.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-...1.5&idno=38

J

Shallz,

Welcome to Hadit.

Will you be going through the BDD program ?

I noticed you also posted this info under a topic

called "Retiring Soon".Since it is a duplicate post

to a different Forum,I have deleted that one.

carlie

Edited by carlie
more info

• HadIt.com Elder

Shallz you will also be effected by concurrent recipt of retirement pay and VA disability dependant upon the disability percentage. The CRDP actually goes away in 2014 and a retiree can draw both the full amount of retirement and va disability comp.

Prior to 04 you had to waive your retirement to get va comp,

Here is a link that will help you out.

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-...pay-computation

J

Edited by jbasser

carlie,

I guess I will be going through the BDD program, not sure yet. I am just starting to read up on here all the reccomendations for retirment and VA benifits. I plan on going through the TAP class in the next month or two.

Scott

Shallz,

Welcome to Hadit.

Will you be going through the BDD program ?

I noticed you also posted this info under a topic

called "Retiring Soon".Since it is a duplicate post

to a different Forum,I have deleted that one.

carlie