VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Opinion Of C&p Exam Results

Rate this question

pigdriver

Question

Hi fellow veterans'. I am seeking opinions from those of you who may have been through the entire process for combat related PTSD, Tinnitus and severe hearing loss. First the PTSD results. In the summary Doctor states "likely he meets stressor criteria A for the DSM-IV manual criteria for PTSD based on his Vietnam war experiences". "Capacity for improvement and remission of his PTSD is limited". Diagnosis: Axis I. PTSD secondary to Vietnam war experiences. Axis II. Deferred. Axis III. Service history of post tramatic brain injury. Axis IV: Stressors; moderate to severe. Axis V. Current global assessment of functioning for the PTSD is 48. Now for the Tinnitus and hearing loss both of which are indicated and contained in my "C" file. Diagnosis. Right side; sensorineual; degree of loss severe. Left side; sensorineual; degree of loss profound. Medical opinion: Service connection for Tinnitus and hearing loss based on Veteran's MOS, military combat service and service medical records. Well all this is well and fine I suppose but exactly what does all of this mean for this old Marine? Will the VA try and find a way not to award me any type of disability & compensation?? Just your opinions based on your experience with same types of disabilities. Thanks to all of you for your service to your country!

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

First of all,you have to be diagnose with PTSD,Second,you have to have a inservice stressor.Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB) Purple heart. Combat Action Ribbon (CAR) Or any medal that you received for being ingaged in combat with the enemy.If you don"t have any of those medals,you need a vertifabbe stressor that can be vertify that cause you to have ptsd AND YOUR ptsd HAVE TO BE ONGOING.

MOBIE16R

First of all,you have to be diagnose with PTSD,Second,you have to have a inservice stressor.Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB) Purple heart. Combat Action Ribbon (CAR) Or any medal that you received for being ingaged in combat with the enemy.If you don"t have any of those medals,you need a vertifabbe stressor that can be vertify that cause you to have ptsd AND YOUR ptsd HAVE TO BE ONGOING.

MOBIE16R

Maybe I was unclear in my posting. I have been diagnosed with PTSD both by the VA and private mental health, I do have a CAR, a Presidential Unit Citation (Navy), etc, etc,etc. I do have verifiable stressors, ie; people died and the names are on the wall and action is listed in morning reports including my presense. The results I posted are the actual results from my PTSD & Tinnitus and Hearing C&P exams. My PTSD has been ongoing since 1968. Just inquiring as what I may expect from the ratings people.

Was this a C&P exam and how long have you been treated for PTSD?

frank

Hi fellow veterans'. I am seeking opinions from those of you who may have been through the entire process for combat related PTSD, Tinnitus and severe hearing loss. First the PTSD results. In the summary Doctor states "likely he meets stressor criteria A for the DSM-IV manual criteria for PTSD based on his Vietnam war experiences". "Capacity for improvement and remission of his PTSD is limited". Diagnosis: Axis I. PTSD secondary to Vietnam war experiences. Axis II. Deferred. Axis III. Service history of post tramatic brain injury. Axis IV: Stressors; moderate to severe. Axis V. Current global assessment of functioning for the PTSD is 48. Now for the Tinnitus and hearing loss both of which are indicated and contained in my "C" file. Diagnosis. Right side; sensorineual; degree of loss severe. Left side; sensorineual; degree of loss profound. Medical opinion: Service connection for Tinnitus and hearing loss based on Veteran's MOS, military combat service and service medical records. Well all this is well and fine I suppose but exactly what does all of this mean for this old Marine? Will the VA try and find a way not to award me any type of disability & compensation?? Just your opinions based on your experience with same types of disabilities. Thanks to all of you for your service to your country!

• HadIt.com Elder

Pigdriver

If that was a C&P exam result you should get IU at least if you are not working. A GAF of 48 with PTSD and TBI should get you between 70-100%. That is a ball park figure. I had a GAF of 50 and I got 70%, but I had lots of current medical documentation from two treating mental health professionals. The question will hinge on if you are able to work or are currently not working. I think being able to work is the main criteria on getting a high rating for a mental condition.

People who are holding down a job don't get 100% for PTSD.

Hi fellow veterans'. I am seeking opinions from those of you who may have been through the entire process for combat related PTSD, Tinnitus and severe hearing loss. First the PTSD results. In the summary Doctor states

"likely he meets stressor criteria A for the DSM-IV manual criteria for PTSD

based on his Vietnam war experiences". "Capacity for improvement and remission of his PTSD is limited".

Axis I. PTSD secondary to Vietnam war experiences.

Axis II. Deferred.

Axis III. Service history of post tramatic brain injury.

Axis IV: Stressors; moderate to severe.

Axis V. Current global assessment of functioning for the PTSD is 48.

pigdriver.

This is only my opinion.

Who did you C&P exam for PTSD as far as their credentials; Psychologist, Psychiatrist.

I surely am not confortable with the sentence,"likely he meets stressor criteria A" and

"based on his Vietnam war experiences".

Is this your first time claiming the issue of PTSD or has it been denied before and this is

being re-opened?

You also posted,"My PTSD has been ongoing since 1968."

PTSD was not a condition until many years after 1968.

There was no such known diagnosis nor any DSM IV.

Now for the Tinnitus and hearing loss both of which are indicated and contained in my "C" file.

Diagnosis. Right side; sensorineual; degree of loss severe. Left side; sensorineual; degree of loss profound. Medical opinion: Service connection for Tinnitus and hearing loss based on Veteran's MOS, military combat service and service medical records.

How long have you been separated from AD?

What exactly does your c-file show as medical evidence in relation to your

hearing loss and Tinnitus ?

Are either of these listed on your discharge physical ?

Are the issues of hearing loss and Tinnitus new issues you have claimed

or did you claim them in the past and this is a re-open for them?

Hearing loss is measured by a couple of different factors, so I hope there was more

to the exam than a statement saying severe and profound.

There needs to be decible measurements and Speech Recognition Scores.

Who did you C&P exams for hearing loss and Tinnitus as far as their credentials, Audiologist?

Will the VA try and find a way not to award me any type of disability & compensation?

Just your opinions based on your experience with same types of disabilities.

Probably.

carlie

Hi all and thanks for responding and the great imput!! Let me try to answer your questions. First Carlie; the examiner for the PTSD was a VA Psychiatrist MD, the examiner for the Tinnitus and hearing loss was a VA Audiologist, this a first time claim for both the PTSD & Tinnitus & hearing loss. In August of 2008 I lost my job, (just one of many over the years) and my health insurance, couldn't afford COBRA and could not find employment and still can not find employment due to my work history. I went to the VAMC in Battle Creek Michigan to inquire about health care, the means test placed me in priority group 5 and then came the battery of exams. When they discovered I was a Vietnam combat veteran I was given the agent orange exam and referrred to the PCT clinic where I was diagnosed with PTSD. Since 1968 I have always felt "different", couldn't connect with other people, hypervigilent, startle reflex, nightmares etc, but I thought it was just me and didn't seek help as I thought that would be a "weak" thing to do, same with the hearing loss situation. Now that I know I suffer from PTSD I know it has been a problem for me since 1968 because I feel the same now as I did then. I do have a civilian mental health professional's dianosis of PTSD also. I can not work, I can't handle being around people, I am fearful of the consequences of my actions should I go "ballistic" which I have done in the past, the VA Doctors' know all of this. You can't believe how my heart is pounding as I write this!!! I never intended to file any claims I just wanted help with health care and help for my hearing loss and help with the PTSD, the PCT Doctors' want to put me in the inpatient program which I have agreed to. The claim business started when I started going to out patient therapy and other Vietnam veterans' who have been through the program encouraged me to pursue the claims, I though what the heck, this PTSD has pretty much ruined my life anyway so whay not!! I served my country as a United States Marine and I served in combat for 13 months in Vietnam and I am proud of it, just miss my friends who didn't come home with me. Thanks for listening.