VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psychiatric Service Animals

Rate this topic

I was told that my psychiatric service dog is not the same as a service dog and not allowed in the VA medical center at Seattle. The police said Shinsecki had ordered this. Does anyone know about this? The police also said the Americans with Disability Act does not apply to the VA.

I have tried for hours now to find a way to call Shinsecki's office to inquire but can't find any number other than 827-1000 and when I finally called that the woman told me to google it!! What's up with that??? :P

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am begining to understand that some of the problem is the way we talk about this subject.

First off, I have discovered that the ADA does NOT apply to federal agencys - but the U.S. Rehabilitation Act of 1973 "prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in programs conducted by Federal agencies, in programs receiving Federal financial assistance, in Federal employment, and in the employment practices of Federal contractors". And in Jan of 09 congress added language that makes all of the ADA and the Rehabilitation Act virtually the same PLUS they added language that clearly makes mental health disabilities equal with physical ones as far as these two laws go.

Second, the way we name the professional dogs confuses people. Service or therapy or companion psychaitric ..... there are only two catagories either the dog is a pet or it is a service dog. Some pets are trained to visit nicely with folks who are living in nursing homes and the like. These dogs are pets.

Service animals are trained to provide a service ....and here is a web site that helps us see the types of service acknowledged by the laws: http://www.psychdog.org/tasks.html

So now that I have answered my own question :P I have set up a meeting with folks from Senator Murrays office and we will see if thay can get through the police mentality B)

TKS and I hope this helps others too

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Good!!!

I am thinking of training my young golden to go with me to visit places I have a strong aversion too.

I researched it also and I think that our VA has posted in a couple of spots that service dogs are authorized

• 8 months later...