VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Jobs Can You Get When The Va Says Your Incompetent?

Rate this question

vistagirl81

Question

My husband would like me to ask anyone on here, what jobs will he be able to get if the VA says he is incompetent?He is 60%.. 50 PTSD and 10 Tin..He is not doing very well mentally, but the VA says that he will be able to go back to work with allot of Volc Rehab. He wants to do the GI bill because he can get more money each month.He wants to work but i really don't know if he can. Thank you.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title38/38-1....4.2.65.145.html

Incompetent as defined by the VA means that the veteran cannot handle his money. That is all. He can get any job that he qualifies for. He may want to consider asking for an increase in his PTSD and filing for individudal unemployability if indeed he can not work. Going to school can be very stressful.

• HadIt.com Elder

File for IU. If he can't even handle his money how is he going to work? Let's be reasonable. I can handle my money but I can't work. If I could not handle my money I would know I could not work. You as spouse should handle the money. Otherwise it can get bad quickly. Nothing like finding out the spouse has run up 40,000 in credit card debt! Preaching the regs is OK but we live in the real world. No one wants to admit they are so messed up they can't pay their bills or keep track of financial obligations. Unfortunately, it is so, and I know it from my own experience with family members. It can cause maximum stress when you find out insurance has not been paid or bank notes are not being paid. You probably ought to create some kind of trust for him in case you die first, so he can't run through everything and end up on the street.

right now he can't file for IU because the exam Psyc. said he can work. Im just getting so frustrated for him because when we got married he was able to do things he can't do now and it is having a lasting effect on him. They said the reason they want him declared incompetent is because he has memory problems and he may have Psycomotor retardation,they though that he was not being truthful when they took the test and tested him 6 more times which stayed the same... I think i pay try and file for a increase for his PTSD. i understand an appeal takes a cpl of years though.

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to get your own private medical opinion to dispute his ability to work. You can file for IU. Nobody can stop you. File for it and then get evidence to prove he can't work, not from the VA. The sooner you file the earlier the effective date when you get it. The only thing the VA cares about is costs. If they can stall you by telling you that your incompentent husband could be a brain surgeon they would do it. They don't want to pay IU. You have to overcome.

right now he can't file for IU because the exam Psyc. said he can work. Im just getting so frustrated for him because when we got married he was able to do things he can't do now and it is having a lasting effect on him. They said the reason they want him declared incompetent is because he has memory problems and he may have Psycomotor retardation,they though that he was not being truthful when they took the test and tested him 6 more times which stayed the same... I think i pay try and file for a increase for his PTSD. i understand an appeal takes a cpl of years though.

Soooooooooooooooo, they are saying that he is incompetent due to non-service connected conditon?