VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need More Help

Rate this question

gbennett

Question

I've been Googleing it so much lately my eyes are going googley.

I've followed everones advice and I just know that out there somewhere is a little known place that I can find proof the USS OGDEN LPD 5 was off the coast of Vung Tau from 16 to 24 December 1969. Maybe one of the Marines out there would have some info of where to look.

Thanks

Gordon

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Guest Berta

Rocky made a good point-

3rd Marines is a pretty broad term. Even 3rdMarDiv.

It might be easier to check this out through the ships logs.

This is from some of my USMC History homework: and exactly what Rocky meant-

"On 6 May 1965, the 3d Marine Division opened the Marine Compound at the Danang Air Base, Vietnam. The Battalion operated in Vietnam from this time participating in operations from Danang to Phi Bai to Quang Tri/Dong Ha Combat Base. The Division departed Vietnam in November 1969 and moved to Camp Courtney, Okinawa, where it is presently located."

from: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/age...smc/3mardiv.htm

My war map will not attach at all. That above link might help you too:

http://www.globalsecurity.org

Berta made a good point. However, I left Vietnam in May of 69 and as far as the 3rdMarDiv leaving Vietnam for Camp Courtney, OK in Nov of 69 I don't believe that is true. They may have changed the Hq location in Okinawa from Camp Hansen prior to Nov 69, but the FMF 3rdMarDiv was still fighting in Vietnam and I don't believe they left until around 72 or 73.

But point in hand, you were harbored at the Cau Viet Harbor. Were you taking on Marines for their rotational float phase aboard ship for sparrow hawk operations during that time? What was the ships destination? Could it have been a training phase taking the marines back to Camp Schwabb Northern Training Area in Okinawa? We can find out more if we know what that logistics and operation mission was for the Ogden. I know it at times served as a rotational float ship for marines when I was in Nam.

Guest Berta

In 1970 III MAF and XXIV Corps changed roles. 12,600 Marines were withdrawn.

I CORPs tactical zone became Region one.By October 18,600 more Marines were withdrawn from Vietnam.

The 7th Mar went back to Pendleton and Mar infantry and artillery regiments of the 5th were in the Que Son area.On April 14th 1971 the IIIMAF flag went to Okinawa.

By June 1971 the Marines in Quang Nam province were replaced by the 196th light infantry.

By the Easter Offensive of 1972, most Marines were no longer in Vietnam-

(from USMC a History, Naval Institute Press, Annapolis by Edwin Simmons -no relation to me)

Rocky -I think you sure hit on the specific Marines that this vet wants to contact-they were being reduced in numbers by Dec 1969- However,as you mention-the Sparrow Hawks- they sure were maintaining air ops and of course, using the ships for Cobras ,Hueys, UH-34 "Dogs" , maybe chinooks and "frogs" too.(they were still kicking butt yet by air and by sea)

http://www.popasmoke.com/ this excellent site is full of Marine Aviation stuff and the USMC Combat Helo units.

There is a message board that could help this vet too-

Marines , not in many ground combat ops after 1970,continued air and naval support in the Seventh Fleet,beyond the withdrawals in 1970 and also Marines, as advisors, stayed on with the Vietnamese Marine Division.

Hope the Topic cops dont mind the war talk- these things can often ring a bell for a vet out there that never posts here but could get their memory refreshed for their claim-you never know.

Edited by Berta

Hey Berta,

Now it all comes together. By the way it is spelled Khe Sanh (in lieu of Quo Son), the hill fights in April of '67 and the 77 day seige Jan through March '68. It is very famous, Hills 881 N and S, 861, 55, etc are a part of the Marine Corps distinguished combat history. You really know your Marine Corps history, we're going to have to make you an honorary Marine.

It is very well that the Ogden participated in the withdrawal or draw down of the 3rd MarDiv. By the way the 3rd Marines, especially 2nd Bn 3rd Marines were the first into Khe Sanh in April of '67. That was when the M16s failed them and suffered numerous casualties. Dateline NBC did a two part series a few years ago named "A few good men". It is very detailed and quite a few of my boot camp buddies and my best friend were in that documentary showing them then and today. Many had committed suicide in their later years.

Keep up the great work Berta, you are a national treasure.

• HadIt.com Elder

I once knew that area very well ... Hills 881N & 881S & 861 and there was a little valley designation (not on too many maps) there too ... several USMC units got hit very, very hard in those areas.

Con Thien was just north of there and over 1,000 rounds hit that very small firebase in one day. I think that was a record for the number of mortars, rockets and etc. hitting such a small area in a single day in the history of RVN. ..... A very good friend of mine, Al Peterson, was later killed just outside of Con Thien, when they went on a patrol into the DMZ.

If my memory serves me correctly ... Hill 881N was hit the hardest of all the "Hills" in that area.

That whole area was a very difficult for the US Marines and a lot were killed there in several battles over the years.

Yes ... Berta does know her military history very well ... I just try to work from a fuzzy memory now and sometimes get confused on dates and places.

Rocky .. that "popasmoke" site is good, I looked at it a long time ago and it had a few mistakes on it with exact dates and unit numbers. I emailed them several years ago ... but I don't know if they changed any of that info.

...Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... B)

Yeah Bill,

You said it. Con Thien was bad 24/7 I think the whole time that the Vietnam "conflict" went on. I also don't see the "Rock Pile" mentioned anymore. I'll bet you recall the Rock Pile.