VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need More Help

Rate this question

gbennett

Question

I've been Googleing it so much lately my eyes are going googley.

I've followed everones advice and I just know that out there somewhere is a little known place that I can find proof the USS OGDEN LPD 5 was off the coast of Vung Tau from 16 to 24 December 1969. Maybe one of the Marines out there would have some info of where to look.

Thanks

Gordon

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Guest Berta

Thanks Rocky- you are right-my war map is in an actual Vietnamese dialect spelling and my kid (Vietnamese linquist-Intell) told me years ago that was Khe Sanh in correct dialect but I forgot. She had to learn two separate Vietnamese dialects.

You are very kind-quite a compliment-

I owe my Nam knowledge to all Vietnam vets and to some extremely tough Marine Corps instructors at my school.

The "Rock Pile"- Bill- I have seen Nam vets refer to the Rock Pile in a few BVA decisions-

Hill 881- Bill- you are absolutely correct:

http://www.vietnamphotography.com/

A horrific battle! I hope the men and women of the Vietnam War all truly realise how their heroism and dedication

was never in vain as we military students and the Military itself continues to study the lessons learned from this War.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta & Rocky:

Ahh ..yess .. the Rockpile ... was a very famous landmark in that general area. It was actually a great OP (Observation Post) and had a good area of view. I believe that it was mostly accessable by chopper. We had a chopper that almost hit the Rockpile in some heavy rain & fog.

I was with BLT 1/3 and we were in a lot of places that are not in the logs that I see posted on many sites .. because the unit was always on the move and even split up at times.

The BLTs were always on the move and mostly did beach landing and helicopter assualts (and never had a "Fire Base") and the records were always screwed up. And all of the missions were .. "Search & Destroy" .. even though some missions were listed as .. "Blocking Missions" for PC reasons.

The the words "Search & Destroy", later became too harsh for the higher commands. And the words "Search & Destroy" were later completely eliminated from all reports and replaced with another term replaced it that I forget now.

Berta ... FYI ... If you ever have a claim from veteran who was with a BLT (Battalion Landing Team) and the records do not show them in a specific place at a specific time that they remember ... that is normal.

I think that BLT records were the worse kept records with the Navy/Marines as I saw a lot of of buddies who were injured or killed in a specific area that was mentioned incorectly.

However ... IF .. they were medevaced to hospital ship (which was rare) and not back to the LPH or LPD ... their activity reports, location of action reports, after action reports, and medical records were much more accurate. From what I saw, the hospital ships were very tough & accurate in the "Record Keeping Dept".

This good record keeping was good in many ways too ... as I saw some who were medevaced to hospital ships and got their "well deserved" combat awards that they would have never gotten being medevaced back to their LPD or LPH units. .... Politics and lazy record keeping on the LPDs & LPHs .. screwed a lot of the troops out of their "combat decorations".

So much for my mindless babling tonight .... night all ...

...Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... B)