VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mh Exam And Spousal Support

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Here goes - uh, I have an mh exam coming up that could be soul baring (mdd/mst/PTSD) and my husband is going with me. Some or many things could be revealed that have stained and changed me. I am taking some notes to guide and remind me of events and issues.

I am looking for advice about how to prepare and debrief him.

He is my soulmate, a pillar of strength and is aware of many things I've experienced. My concern is how he as a man may take exposure of graphic details that could come out by questioning.

Thank you kindly and prayers are appreciated,

Cg'up2009!

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

During the MH exam, I think that you can ask him leave the room for short period, and then come back and support you later. You would have to ask the examiner...

Edited by Bonzai

I made a mistake years back of confiding in my wife--some things concerning my Vietnam service. Big mistake. Months later, during a heated argument, she lambasted me with some of the things I told her. Never again, no way will I ever tell/talk or confide in someone about Nam. *I've been in limbo of filing for sc for PTSD or depression due to recurrent pain of physical disability(s). Not sure which way would compensate me better. One thing for sure: I would think long and hard before I would take anyone in with me during a PTSD exam. Sure it is good to talk to people about problems related to PTSD---but may be it should be restricted to "professionals". I realize that in some cases, someone accompanying you to PTSD exam could be beneficial. My point is, be careful in "who" you confide in. I got burned and it still hurts.

Here goes - uh, I have an mh exam coming up that could be soul baring (mdd/mst/PTSD) and my husband is going with me. Some or many things could be revealed that have stained and changed me. I am taking some notes to guide and remind me of events and issues.

He is my soulmate, a pillar of strength and is aware of many things I've experienced. My concern is how he as a man may take exposure of graphic details that could come out by questioning.

Cg'up2009!

Cowgirl,

The examiner shouldn't have a problem with having your husband leave when you want Him to.

CG, I don't know your husband, but as you stated "He is your pillar of strength", I believe that He is going to understand leaving the room, and be waiting for you when your done, if that's what you want.

Prayers going up now,

Good Luck on the exam!

BoonDoc

i asked pretty much the same question. was told that i could ask him to leave when i needed him to. mine knows what happened and the circumstances around it but does not know the "details" of it. i refuse to tell him that part. but, then again, he did read all my records in my medical records about it and it hasnt changed his mind about me/us at all. whatever u decide....best of luck to u!!

I think he will understand that you need to discuss things that you may not want him to hear, its kind of like when you go to a gyn doc he can be there as long as you want him to, and then leave when you need him to. Just remember you have his support, and he loves you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Cg'up2009!

Drop him off at Starbucks, give him $10, tell him to get an iced mocha latte and a cheese danish, that you'll be back by to pick him up in a couple hours.

(and, no, I am not being facetious, there is no reason to subject him to what you were subjected to, yes, he'll still love you, but why cast a heavier burden on him?)