VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mh Exam And Spousal Support

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Here goes - uh, I have an mh exam coming up that could be soul baring (mdd/mst/PTSD) and my husband is going with me. Some or many things could be revealed that have stained and changed me. I am taking some notes to guide and remind me of events and issues.

I am looking for advice about how to prepare and debrief him.

He is my soulmate, a pillar of strength and is aware of many things I've experienced. My concern is how he as a man may take exposure of graphic details that could come out by questioning.

Thank you kindly and prayers are appreciated,

Cg'up2009!

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

What is the reason you want him right there in same room with you for the exam?

frank

Here goes - uh, I have an mh exam coming up that could be soul baring (mdd/mst/PTSD) and my husband is going with me. Some or many things could be revealed that have stained and changed me. I am taking some notes to guide and remind me of events and issues.

I am looking for advice about how to prepare and debrief him.

He is my soulmate, a pillar of strength and is aware of many things I've experienced. My concern is how he as a man may take exposure of graphic details that could come out by questioning.

Thank you kindly and prayers are appreciated,

Cg'up2009!

• HadIt.com Elder

I found my wife to be supportive and wanted her to be with me. We basically have no secrets but I had to drill in her to let me explain and only to answer questions directed at her. When we first started this she annoyed me by jumping into the fray and than bitching about what a sorry bunch of sad sacks the VA are ect ect.

Finally we worked it out and she was a big help. I also know that your hubby may be able to explain some of your problems better than you can.

So every time I went for C&P I asked my wife to take her clue from me and only answer a question if I asked her or gave her the nod to do so.The main reason one would want a spouse is for support and to witness what went on in my opinion.

Good Luck on your C&P

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks each of you - your reflections and thoughts are very insightful. I know each relationship is unique and it's quite the decision to attend this iu c&p exam together. I think it'll be ok, he rarely, if ever dishes brownie points by exposing my goofs or major flaws. His participation will be as needed like suggested, Soulmate support for a much needed increase in compensation - whats due me after all these years.

I'll be back later this week or early next, just very stressed now. Maybe my story will publish a few years out after kiddos are aged.

Cowgirl

What is the reason you want him right there in same room with you for the exam?

frank

Edited by cowgirl