VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gaf , From 40 To 35, What Is This And Whats It Represent?

Rate this question

mrkman12

Question

Seeing pysch. doc every week at the ptsd clinic in sa, lowered gaf score from 40 to 35, due to severe levels of depression, commorbid w/severe chronic ptsd. Am still waiting on an DRO interview, almost 18 months now. Have been seeing haha since 2007, and am not quite sure where all this is going....pls advise....hamster on a wheel.....

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If your PTSD stressor has been verified and you are not working you are probably looking at IU or 100% rating. What did your C&P exam say? The C&P exam will be what the VA mostly depends on to make a rating along with other medical records.

Are you currently service connected for PTSD or MDD or were you denied all together? It does not matter what your GAF score is if you can't get service connection. If you are service connected you are looking at 70 - 100 percent. The GAF score is not the overall determing factor.

If your PTSD stressor has been verified and you are not working you are probably looking at IU or 100% rating. What did your C&P exam say? The C&P exam will be what the VA mostly depends on to make a rating along with other medical records.

Interesting enough, after almost 2 years since opening my claim from 1992, have been diagnosed with ptsd/mdd/gad all of which are severe, and chronic. Have been on meds for 21 months now and see the haha every week at the veteran outpatient clinic weekly, indivivual one on one, symptoms too severe for group. VA shrink diagnosed, wrote nexus summary, sets gaf at 35.

texas veterans commission states that I have a good case, yet have not had a dro board since nod submitted since feb. 2008. Denied by the VA, 1. you have been diagnosed, yet do not show a combat stressor. Claim submitted was for ptsd via personal assualt, and near fatal electrocution. All data sent was for non-combat ptsd, and post concussion residuals. Am I missing something here?

Are you currently service connected for PTSD or MDD or were you denied all together? It does not matter what your GAF score is if you can't get service connection. If you are service connected you are looking at 70 - 100 percent. The GAF score is not the overall determing factor.

How do you go about requesting a C&P, since I have been diagnosed with ptsd/mdd and a nexus summary was placed in my medical records by my VA phyc. and VA nuerophyc. I am presently waiting a requested DRO interview to straighten out these issues for my non-combat relationship of two tbi's while on active duty. resulting in ptsd/mdd/gad and a gaf or 35. Seen weekly one on one individual therapy for two years and on meds. for 21 months now. The initial claim in 1992, is now reopened and am stuck in a hamster wheel. Can not get anything from the ro in houston and they will not expain status of the claim. Texas veterans commission, wants me to wait and not rock the boat until the dro board. States if nothing is heard by houston by september, will readress the issue with some kind of writ?

have any of your doctors connected these in-service stressors to your current PTSD? Even when it's obvious, you can't expect the VA to assume this. On your SOC what was the full reason the VA denied your claim? I know you said they couldn't verify but were there other reasons?

I'm surprised the VA hasn't ordered you a Comp&Pen exam for "other opinion" for a nexus to your in-service events. You can always request a comp&pen exam through your VSO. Surprised your VSO hasn't requested this too.

frank

All data sent was for non-combat ptsd, and post concussion residuals. Am I missing something here?
Edited by WHOLESALE

have any of your doctors connected these in-service stressors to your current PTSD? Even when it's obvious, you can't expect the VA to assume this. On your SOC what was the full reason the VA denied your claim? I know you said they couldn't verify but were there other reasons?

I'm surprised the VA hasn't ordered you a Comp&Pen exam for "other opinion" for a nexus to your in-service events. You can always request a comp&pen exam through your VSO. Surprised your VSO hasn't requested this too.

frank

in answer to your last, yes all doctors seen so far have connected current diagnosis to stressors involved during military service, 1 psychiatrist, 2 psychologists, 1 neuropsychologist. I have submitted numerous 21-4138s to houston beginning02/12/08 and have yet to hear from them. Denial statement verbatiem; Your first claim for post-traumatic stress disorder was dinied by rating dated august 14, 1992, because you were not shown to have been diagnosed with it. We asked you to provide stressor infomation for your new claim and you did not. (not true, sent to Phoenix varo.) also initial 21-4138 statement and support of claim submitted explaim in plain english what occurred and that the stressors were non-combat related. "Wd have obtaimed your personnel records from the service department which serve as new and material evidence to reopen the claim but they do not contain any evidence of a combat stressor that might be used to support your contention. Sc. for ptsd requires medical evidence diagnosing the link, established by medical evidence, between current symptoms and an in-service stressor occurred. You are treated now at the VA for ptsd but there is no evidence of an in-service stressor that might have caused it. the claim for sc for ptsd is considered reopened based on additional service records; however, the evidence continues to show this condition was not incurred in or aggravated by military service." This is real interesting considering the two stressors were a near fatal electrocution from a ship to shore power cable blew up in my face, blinded me for two days and is demonstrated in my service medical records. 2ndly, was attacked by an unknown attacker on my ship during my 18th year of service and suffurred a closed head injury; concussion, and post concussion symptoms, also illustrated in service medical records. All of this information was sent to them and they still denied the claim, as stated before i now have the 3 elements to establish service connection for ptsd. 1. a diagnosis, 2. a nexus, from the VA psychologist who has been treating me for two years on a weekly basis. Also, a VA neuropsychologist who evaluated me for post concussion residuals; Stating in her summary that it is more likely that not the two reported tbi injuries and ptsd symptoms are causing this veterans issues at this time. That due to the severity and chronicity of these military related injuries psychiatric therapy would best assist this veteran at this time. 3. verification of the stressors, dah, ie; the medical records verify the stressors in content. 1. Ship to Shore cable exploded in face causing neurological blindness, flashburns to face, hair , eyes, arms....2. treatment for concussion at balboa naval hospital for closed head injury from unknown attacker aboard a naval ship. Diagnoses; concussion, and later diagnoses of symptoms of a post concussion syndrome. Cat scan acomplished in hawaii, 12 days later can not understand why symptoms persist. Eight months later, career ended 18 and a half years flushed down the toilet, honorable discharge. Submitted claim 1 month after seperation, was diagnosed with possible ptsd at the veterans center here in sa. VA failed to obtain those records or conduct any exams as per requested through the veterans center in SA. I seem to be losing context as per the increase in emotional stress and intrusive thoughts are taking over. standby.......mark