VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Year Was Ptsd Established In Dsm-iii,

Rate this question

mrkman12

Question

It would appear that a veteran with non-combat injuries is discriminated against via those who were in combat ie; stressor verification and or presumption of service due to lack of CIB,or other combat related badges or citations....It would appear that non-combat injuries have no weight or bearing with the VA or other governmental subsideries, and that having no correlation to combat these individuals must execute and overcome extreme hardships to prove the existenance of an injury occurring during military service. Does not being in combat, make us less injured? Are not non-combat veterans still eintitled to the same care, compassion, and respect as combat veterans? apart from being declared a combat veteran did we not serve honorably, with the same intent of self sacrifice if called upon. It would appear that one word which is used extensively, yet truely is misunderstood could some it up in a nut shell. THAT WORD WOULD BE "VETERAN'. My attempt here is not to slander, or discredit my bothers in arms, but to remind everyone of the sacrifice all VETERANS had to give....

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

At Hadit there is no difference between a combat vet or

a peace time vet - except for maybe a bit more thanks goes out

to combat veterans for their service.

As for the VBA - there's not a whole lot of difference either

other than the reg for combat vets and some presumptive conditions.

Other than these two aLL VBA claims still come down to SMR's and medical evidence.

As far as PTSD goes you need to be looking at DSM IV not Dsm-iii.

jmho,

carlie

Edited by carlie
added more info

Any Combat Veteran knows how many support personnel it take to service one combat Vet. I stayed in 23 years, and fought to end to make all troops got treated with respect. The 11B4P and Rangers thouht very highly of themselves. I keep them gounded and let them know its a team that make a unit function in a highly proficient manner

Mrkman12, you have my respect, and I want you to be treated fairly. In fact I insist on it!!!!!

At Hadit there is no difference between a combat vet or

a peace time vet - except for maybe a bit more thanks goes out

to combat veterans for their service.

As for the VBA - there's not a whole lot of difference either

other than the reg for combat vets and some presumptive conditions.

Other than these two aLL VBA claims still come down to SMR's and medical evidence.

As far as PTSD goes you need to be looking at DSM IV not Dsm-iii.

jmho,

carlie

Yes Maam,

As diagnosed with ptsd, severe chronic by a VA shrink I understand this, yet find in the service medical records numerous enteries of adult situational, passive-aggressive disorder, nuerotic characture disorder, major depressive disorder. All diagnosis made before 1983, is that not the year DSM-III established ptsd?

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have a diagnosis of major depression in your SMR's then that is going to be a lot easier to file for than non-combat PTSD since it is already established. What you have to rule out is those other personality disorder things like passive-aggressive disorder etc. If you have a current diagnosis of major depression and a diagnosis of major depression in your SMR's I think that would be easier than trying to put together a PTSD claim. You get the same compensation money for depression or PTSD. Don't fixate on PTSD. The VA is fixated on it. They probably know it is the hardest claim to win. With combat PTSD if you have the combat medals it is just easier because your stressor is conceded even though you still have to write some kind of stressor letter that is within the relm of possibility. With non-combat PTSD you have to prove the whole thing. Nothing is conceded that you can't prove.

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe PTSD was first accepted in the DSM-III, in 1980.

pr

Yes Maam,

As diagnosed with ptsd, severe chronic by a VA shrink I understand this, yet find in the service medical records numerous enteries of adult situational, passive-aggressive disorder, nuerotic characture disorder, major depressive disorder. All diagnosis made before 1983, is that not the year DSM-III established ptsd?