VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Year Was Ptsd Established In Dsm-iii,

Rate this question

mrkman12

Question

It would appear that a veteran with non-combat injuries is discriminated against via those who were in combat ie; stressor verification and or presumption of service due to lack of CIB,or other combat related badges or citations....It would appear that non-combat injuries have no weight or bearing with the VA or other governmental subsideries, and that having no correlation to combat these individuals must execute and overcome extreme hardships to prove the existenance of an injury occurring during military service. Does not being in combat, make us less injured? Are not non-combat veterans still eintitled to the same care, compassion, and respect as combat veterans? apart from being declared a combat veteran did we not serve honorably, with the same intent of self sacrifice if called upon. It would appear that one word which is used extensively, yet truely is misunderstood could some it up in a nut shell. THAT WORD WOULD BE "VETERAN'. My attempt here is not to slander, or discredit my bothers in arms, but to remind everyone of the sacrifice all VETERANS had to give....

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Houston VARO is one of the worse. Since you like your VSO you should have a sit down chat and get him to answer some of your questions and explain to you he plans to win.

Otherwise you are spinning your wheels.

Does your VSO return calls promptly?

Is your VSO willing to explain to you how and why you can win your claim?

If not I would think about getting someone else or digging into Hadit and putting evidenced together that will win.

• HadIt.com Elder

Like I say if you were DX'ed with major depression in service and you have that diagnosis now you can walk around the PTSD verification process. PTSD and major depression are different conditions even if they are co-morbid. You need a medical opinion from a shrink to say that you developed major depression in the service as evidenced by suicide attempt. Since that time you have suffered recurrent bouts of severe depression and are currently severely depressed. Your depression is at least as likely as not connected to your service and you are totally disabled. You have PTSD as evidenced by your records, but you don't have to prove it if you have been DX'ed with depression. What you do need is an opinion that you do not suffer from any personality disorders. The personality disorder thing is the VA and DOD's way of escaping paying compensation. Half the vets here were tagged with such DX'es at one time or another. It is a dirty game. The VA recently tried to say that the reason I could not work was due to passive-aggressive personality rather than the schizophrenia they diagnosed me with back in 1971. That is because I filed a CUE on the original low ball rating. The VA sort of tried to get me to chase the red herring/strawman of making a PTSD claim when I already had a accepted claim for another sort of mental health issue. That was a trip that was not necessary, and may also be in your case Mrkman. If you have been gettting treatment for depression since you left service you have all of the legs of the claims process in place. In-service DX, continuity of treatment and current diagnosis. I don't know if this is the case, but it would be easier than a PTSD claim if it were so.

• HadIt.com Elder

John999 and I agree on this. I also would like to point out that if the symptoms were documented it could be looked at diagnosed now and linked to service. There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Even thought the VA maintains a fiction that a combat Vet does not have to jump through as many hoops they still have to prove up the stressor.

I personally but not diagnosed think I have PTSD. When they screen for it I always am truthful and they always tell me I screened positive for PTSD. I am not going to even try to get into that mess or ever consider unwinding my already awarded claim Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia / Major Depression. By the way all have common symproms. Amazing isn't it. There is not a chance in hell that I could have won my claim if I went the panic disorder route.

Just my opinion