VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Newbie To Forum And Looking For Help

Rate this question

ssg_rw_brown

Question

My husband got out of the military in 05. He spent 12 years active duty with a total of 21 eyars with his reserve and guard time. he spen over a year in Iraq in from Feb. 04 to March. 05.

He initially received a rating for a knee injury he recived from and explosion in Iraq but several months later after passing out (I thought he had a stroke!)at our dinner table and being hospitalized for over a week, and numerours testing he was diagnosed with "neurocardiosyncope". Told him nothing he can really do just make sure he eats 3 meals a day , drinks a lot of gatorade, avoid stress, caffeine, and plenty of rest. Then to make a long story short we ended up at the Va and not sure how it happened but he was finally diagnosed with " mild traumatic brain injury". this was kind of a releif because we now had and answer. They did a tilt test there, and sent him to speech class to help with the memory loss.

From my prospective I had noticed a change in him since the day he returned from Iraq...I chalked it up to the war and things he had seen and done...never sleeps, when he does its on the coach because any moves in the bed wake him up, personality change, irritability, forgetfullness, changes in taste, wanting to stay alone or just with me and the kids (antisocial behavior) little subtle things that I knew were different but never occured to me what or that it was a brain injury.

Fast forwarded he received rating for 10 % for the brain injury. So total he gets 10% knee, 10% tintinus, 50% PSD, 10% Mild Tramatic Brain injury.we have put in claims for different things that came up but were denied. Chronic back pain, tried to increase the knee because of the chronic pain but they say it's nothing and he has full range of motion so no increase. Vision problem, he had 20/20 vision his whole life with no problems and now needs glasses which they say is probly from sun exposure (focusing problem and light sensitivity). I have just stumbled across this site and read with interest the new changes with the brain injury. he was rated for the TBI in September of 2008 and when we received that rating I thought it was crazy. He has a combined rating of I think 60 or 70 percent (we get like 1200 per month with 3 kids under 18). Recently we received a letter saying they were decreasing his compensation to 900 because at his last compensation visit they felt he was "improving" (PTSD) which I thought crazy because he's on meds! that's why he seems better! so i talked to a VA guy and he said to send in a letter to say we were appealing it which I got a reply last week that said because it was only a "proposal" they were not accepting it and that now since we hadn't sent in evidence to contradict these claims it was now official and if we wanted to appeal it we coud. I'm so frustrated! I don't feel that we can find any help to wade through these VA paperwork. I really feel like he should be getting more compensation but not sure how to go about it.

We did talk to a VA guy a month ago who felt he should be getting 100% and pushed him to try, and told us the form to submit but yet i'm at a loss what else to do. I feel that there should be someone to help him wade through his medical papers and find out what he needs to send in and what claims he needs to file. So far we have submitted individual claims in the past for the passing out, back pain, vision problems but all got denie....but I kind of feel that maybe it should be compiled because basically I think it all goes back to the brain injury. He passes out for no apparent reason, we never know when it is coming on but i can usually trace it back to heat, stress, pain, didn't eat that day. he passes out and then when he comes around the first time he thinks he is back in Iraq, and needs a medic, he says he has sand in his mouth and needs a drink...then he starts to cry and without going into detail goes through a lot of guilt ...eventually he will pass out again and the 2nd time he comes around he's back in the real world....i worry he will do this driving or somewhere that he will get hurt so I have always felt he should be getting more compensation but just am at a loss on how or what do do to obtain it. He does not do good with people and public situations, to much anxiety and gets very agitated very quickly but the main fear for me is the passing out. I know this is getting very long and there is so much more I would love some input on but don't want to bore everyone but plese could someone give us some advice on what do and how to go about it. Thank you for listening.

• Answers 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My husband got out of the military in 05. He spent 12 years active duty with a total of 21 eyars with his reserve and guard time. he spen over a year in Iraq in from Feb. 04 to March. 05.

He initially received a rating for a knee injury he recived from and explosion in Iraq but several months later after passing out (I thought he had a stroke!)at our dinner table and being hospitalized for over a week, and numerours testing he was diagnosed with "neurocardiosyncope". Told him nothing he can really do just make sure he eats 3 meals a day , drinks a lot of gatorade, avoid stress, caffeine, and plenty of rest. Then to make a long story short we ended up at the Va and not sure how it happened but he was finally diagnosed with " mild traumatic brain injury". this was kind of a releif because we now had and answer. They did a tilt test there, and sent him to speech class to help with the memory loss.

From my prospective I had noticed a change in him since the day he returned from Iraq...I chalked it up to the war and things he had seen and done...never sleeps, when he does its on the coach because any moves in the bed wake him up, personality change, irritability, forgetfullness, changes in taste, wanting to stay alone or just with me and the kids (antisocial behavior) little subtle things that I knew were different but never occured to me what or that it was a brain injury.

Fast forwarded he received rating for 10 % for the brain injury. So total he gets 10% knee, 10% tintinus, 50% PSD, 10% Mild Tramatic Brain injury.we have put in claims for different things that came up but were denied. Chronic back pain, tried to increase the knee because of the chronic pain but they say it's nothing and he has full range of motion so no increase. Vision problem, he had 20/20 vision his whole life with no problems and now needs glasses which they say is probly from sun exposure (focusing problem and light sensitivity). I have just stumbled across this site and read with interest the new changes with the brain injury. he was rated for the TBI in September of 2008 and when we received that rating I thought it was crazy. He has a combined rating of I think 60 or 70 percent (we get like 1200 per month with 3 kids under 18). Recently we received a letter saying they were decreasing his compensation to 900 because at his last compensation visit they felt he was "improving" (PTSD) which I thought crazy because he's on meds! that's why he seems better! so i talked to a VA guy and he said to send in a letter to say we were appealing it which I got a reply last week that said because it was only a "proposal" they were not accepting it and that now since we hadn't sent in evidence to contradict these claims it was now official and if we wanted to appeal it we coud. I'm so frustrated! I don't feel that we can find any help to wade through these VA paperwork. I really feel like he should be getting more compensation but not sure how to go about it.

We did talk to a VA guy a month ago who felt he should be getting 100% and pushed him to try, and told us the form to submit but yet i'm at a loss what else to do. I feel that there should be someone to help him wade through his medical papers and find out what he needs to send in and what claims he needs to file. So far we have submitted individual claims in the past for the passing out, back pain, vision problems but all got denie....but I kind of feel that maybe it should be compiled because basically I think it all goes back to the brain injury. He passes out for no apparent reason, we never know when it is coming on but i can usually trace it back to heat, stress, pain, didn't eat that day. he passes out and then when he comes around the first time he thinks he is back in Iraq, and needs a medic, he says he has sand in his mouth and needs a drink...then he starts to cry and without going into detail goes through a lot of guilt ...eventually he will pass out again and the 2nd time he comes around he's back in the real world....i worry he will do this driving or somewhere that he will get hurt so I have always felt he should be getting more compensation but just am at a loss on how or what do do to obtain it. He does not do good with people and public situations, to much anxiety and gets very agitated very quickly but the main fear for me is the passing out. I know this is getting very long and there is so much more I would love some input on but don't want to bore everyone but plese could someone give us some advice on what do and how to go about it. Thank you for listening.

I think you definitely need to sit down with someone (with VA claim's knowledge) to review what you have/have not done, and just where the case is(?)whats pending? Some states have County Veterans Service Officers (some good and some not.). Also, usually located at your VA Medical Center or VA Regional Office are veterans service officers employed by the DAV, AMVETS, VFW, American Legion and other veterans service organizations. Some of these service officers can be very helpful and(sorry) some are worthless. In addition, there are Attorneys who will represent/assist you with any appeals with the Board Of Veterans Appeals. Try to find at least one of the above that takes interest in assisting you with your claim. Don't go it alone. Also, you mentioned "We did talk to a VA guy a month ago...". Did this "VA guy" actually work for the VA or did he work for one of the service organizations above?? In closing, if you get no where with any of the above---may be get back on here with your most recent VA letter and try to explain or post as close as possible just what the VA is asking for or saying. *Be careful of any time periods to reply to VA correspondence to you. Did you (or VA guy) submit a request to the VARO requesting 100%TDIU, because of TBI-traumatic brain injury? Have you filed or did "VA guy" file a NOD-Notice of Disagreement with any or all of the percentages already awarded? **Please understand the volunteer people here on Hadit want to help.

• HadIt.com Elder

Have you appealed the denied claimed issues & kept them going?

An attorney may be able to resolve it quicker than an NSO. Have you contacted any Veterans attorneys?

This link may help you. http://www.vetadvocates.com/

Did they do a neurophsychological examination on him?

Have you applied for Social Security Disability for him? Or Veterans Pension?

Here's a link to Pension benefits information. http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/benefits/factshe...ive_pension.doc

Form for Pension

Veteran's Application for Compensation and/or Pension (Fillable)

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-526-ARE.pdf

Here are the requirements for Unemployablity.

http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/benefits/factshe...onnected/iu.doc

I agree with Allan-he should apply for SSA and the "VA guy" is right- the TDIU form is at the VA web site under Comp Pension Icon and forms-

21-8940.

TBI is rated as to residuals-it seems to me that 10% is way too low.

"We did talk to a VA guy a month ago who felt he should be getting 100% and pushed him to try, and told us the form to submit but yet i'm at a loss what else to do. I feel that there should be someone to help him wade through his medical papers and find out what he needs to send in and what claims he needs to file. So far we have submitted individual claims in the past for the passing out, back pain, vision problems but all got denie....but I kind of feel that maybe it should be compiled because basically I think it all goes back to the brain injury. He passes out for no apparent reason, we never know when it is coming on "

I agree that these seem to all be related to the TBI yet the TBI appears to have been diagnosed after these claims were denied.

Did he file NOD on the denials?

The TDIU claim is the way to straighten all this out-

you need his complete SMRs, and all medical records-and you can build on the SC TBI with any other residuals-

"Recently we received a letter saying they were decreasing his compensation to 900 because at his last compensation visit they felt he was "improving" (PTSD) which I thought crazy because he's on meds! that's why he seems better! so i talked to a VA guy and he said to send in a letter to say we were appealing it which I got a reply last week that said because it was only a "proposal" they were not accepting it and that now since we hadn't sent in evidence to contradict these claims it was now official and if we wanted to appeal it we coud. I'm so frustrated! I don't feel that we can find any help to wade through these VA paperwork. I really feel like he should be getting more compensation but not sure how to go about it"

Do you mean the proposed reduction was NOT challenged in time?

Have you contacted NVLSP

as to their pro bono Lawyers for Warriors program?

http://www.nvlsp.org/Information/LSW/index.htm

I know you feel overwhelmed but there are things here that have to be done and your husband cannot do them.He deals with way too much.

I strongly suggest you contact NVLSP but whether they can help or not-

you need to have all of his medical records and be able to build a case as to his residuals from the TBI-

There is considerable info on the net for TBI.And also here at hadit under a search.TBIs cause personality changes, physical problems, visual problems etc-the list is endless-

did he had an MRI of brain to assess where the TBI damage occurred?

Can you possibly affrord an independent medical opinion that could show with medical rationale that his PTSD and TBI residuals render him unable to work?

I suggest you get a bunch of manila folders to help you sort through and label his medical records, and all VA correspondence.

VSOs and vet reps are not going to take the time you can take to fully understand what all of his records reveal.

An IMO doc (whose fee might be high) would do that but it is best to understand how to shape the request for an IMO and see what these records reveal. The MRI could be critical as it should show any area(s) of brain trauma-there could be more than one area of brain here affected based on his symptoms.

Please refer to my topic here called "Getting an IMO"

but before you do anything please contact NVLSP-tell them he is OIF OEF vet-

Please feel free to email them copy of my reply here - and my name Berta Simmons if they need it.

What is his PTSD rating?

Did he start passing out before or after they gave him meds?

You need to determine the side affects of the meds he is on and this can be referred to under Remarks (#25) on the TDIU form- state you are attaching additional evidence and tell them anything such as side affects of Do not take and drive, can cause confusion, drowsiness or sleeplessness-etc and any other information they should consider as to the TDIU claim.

If a doctor can associate his neurocardiosyncope with his TBI-this would certainly help get him TDIU-

I have searched the net for an association but have not found one yet-the MRI narrative which should be in his medical records- could reveal a possible association .

There are forums on the net that discuss this condition.

Did the VA provide him with compression stockings that can often alleviate the faining symptoms of this disorder?

• HadIt.com Elder

Mrs Brown:

Welcome to Hadit. And thanks for sticking with your Veteran. You have gotten some great advice I concur.

Good Luck

Many here with 100% have the same type of symptoms that your husband does.

• HadIt.com Elder

Mrs Brown

Do as Berta suggests. However, if you can't get a lawyer pro bono you can probably get one who will reprsent your husband for retro money. He needs it. You can work with the lawyer and do some of the spade work. He can't help himself so you have to be his advocate. Any time the VA makes a decision that negatively affects your husband's compensation you should appeal it. Put the appeal paperwork in their hand and get a copy. There are deadlines for appeals usually one year.