VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Am Filing For A&a And Need Advice

red

I am in the process of applying for a&a for my spouse. I am 100% t&p and have been over ten years.

I was reading a post you had on hadit and I feel you know much about a&a, so if you do not mind, i have a few a questions for you.

I am 70 years old, my spouse is 69. She has had a terrible stroke, can not walk, can not bathe her self, can not cook, can not drive, has fallen and broken numerous bones, has had two heart bypasses, terrible balance problem.

Do you feel I have a change to get a&a for her? Do you feel it would open up a keg of worms and the va would reopen my case? I could not make it without my benefits.

Also, I can not seem to find out what a&a would pay a month. Any help you could give me would be highly appeciated. Thanks so much

Edited by Pete53
Removed extraneous info

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Red:

I fixed it. All you need to do is ask for it and have a Doc fill out a form the VA has. Its really not that hard.You earned the benefits and I would thing it is something that will not impact your benefits.

Good Luck

• 4 weeks later...

Careful--as long as the vet's alive, the claim for A&A is always the vet's claim... even w/ the spouse being in need. If the vet's drawing 100% T &P already, A&A won't help--the VA's only going to pay the greater of the two benefits. VA can never pay out both comp and pension--just one or the other.

would anyone here like to comment on what knifestuff wrote? I was told by the local state veterans office that you can draw a&a and it would not be a pension. Also, he told me that they do not do a means test and that at my age (70), that I would be in no danger of losing my 100% t&p.

After reading his post, I am worried. I could not live without my disability check but I also need help with my wife. Please respond with any help? Thanks. Red

I think you should carefully read over the regs on this:

Any veteran with 30% SC is entitled to additional comp for certain disabled dependents.

38 USC 1115 (E)

The benefit is due the veteran-not the spouse however-

also see 38 CFR 3.351

If the spouse does not meet the A & A criteria they could possibly meet the Permanently Housebound criteria.

I think the state rep is correct too.

I think you should carefully read over the regs on this:

Any veteran with 30% SC is entitled to additional comp for certain disabled dependents.

38 USC 1115 (E)

The benefit is due the veteran-not the spouse however-

also see 38 CFR 3.351

If the spouse does not meet the A & A criteria they could possibly meet the Permanently Housebound criteria.