VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Are My Chances For Tdiu Or Ssdi

Rate this question

mrjenks

Question

I am about to get medically retired from the Air Force after 23 years of service for Type II diabetes. Even though that is what they are retiring me for, I have other issues that I will be claiming for service connected disabilities through the VA.

Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Type II diabetes

Bilateral Pes Planus

Hypertension

Recurrent Hemmorrhoids

Lumbago

Allergic Conjunctivitis

Herniated Disks L5-S1

Erectile dysfunction (secondary to hyertension)

Most of the other issues bother me, but not as much as the Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Type II diabetes. I fall asleep at my desk daily. I am in a management position and the people who works for me look after me when this happens. They do tease me about it which is all in good fun. I hate to say it, but I have to fight to keep myself awake when I am driving home from work. It's pretty bad. On days I don't work it is not a problem with driving, but if I have to sit in front of a computer, I am done I will fall asleep eventually. Not for long but long enough for people to notice. Even with my CPAP, it is not the cure all I thought it would be. My job is an office administrator for the past 23 years so sitting at a desk is what I do. With my Type II diabetes, I take insulin and medicine called Metformin. The insulin I can handle, the metformin makes me sick as a dog, but it keeps my blood sugar at the necessary level. It is a necessary evil I guess. With the Sleep Apnea and the sickness from my meds, I am at least 40-50% working compacity. And that is everyday. I haven't felt well for a long time. Being in the military I am kind of supported in a way. When I retire, and get a job in the civilian world, I want have that support in the work place. I know once I fall asleep at my desk the first or second time, I am sure I would be fired. Who would hire someone and pay someone who falls asleep at his desk.

My question what are my chances of asking for TDIU or SSDI...????? I am not the type of guy that just not want to work, but I can't work at full compacity the way I feel daily. It really sucks when you get up in the morning and you feel like you haven't slept a wink, the body gets worn down and that is how I feel.

Any info or advice.....?????

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would say your chances are good to get TDIU if your symptons are severe and it sounds like they are.And the bbiggie that you can get a Doc to write you up as not being able to work

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder
I am about to get medically retired from the Air Force after 23 years of service for Type II diabetes. Even though that is what they are retiring me for, I have other issues that I will be claiming for service connected disabilities through the VA.

Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Type II diabetes

Bilateral Pes Planus

Hypertension

Recurrent Hemmorrhoids

Lumbago

Allergic Conjunctivitis

Herniated Disks L5-S1

Erectile dysfunction (secondary to hyertension)

Most of the other issues bother me, but not as much as the Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Type II diabetes. I fall asleep at my desk daily. I am in a management position and the people who works for me look after me when this happens. They do tease me about it which is all in good fun. I hate to say it, but I have to fight to keep myself awake when I am driving home from work. It's pretty bad. On days I don't work it is not a problem with driving, but if I have to sit in front of a computer, I am done I will fall asleep eventually. Not for long but long enough for people to notice. Even with my CPAP, it is not the cure all I thought it would be. My job is an office administrator for the past 23 years so sitting at a desk is what I do. With my Type II diabetes, I take insulin and medicine called Metformin. The insulin I can handle, the metformin makes me sick as a dog, but it keeps my blood sugar at the necessary level. It is a necessary evil I guess. With the Sleep Apnea and the sickness from my meds, I am at least 40-50% working compacity. And that is everyday. I haven't felt well for a long time. Being in the military I am kind of supported in a way. When I retire, and get a job in the civilian world, I want have that support in the work place. I know once I fall asleep at my desk the first or second time, I am sure I would be fired. Who would hire someone and pay someone who falls asleep at his desk.

My question what are my chances of asking for TDIU or SSDI...????? I am not the type of guy that just not want to work, but I can't work at full compacity the way I feel daily. It really sucks when you get up in the morning and you feel like you haven't slept a wink, the body gets worn down and that is how I feel.

Any info or advice.....?????

You can get some idea by knowing the severity of each condition and comparing it to the schedule for rating disabilities. Title 38 part 4. It requires some effort as the file is large but it will tell you since the Key point is each individual disability and its level of severity.

Here is a link:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-...1.5&idno=38

You have over 20 years. Will you get MEB, PEB? Why the Medical retirement? Any CRPD disabilities?

My MEB has been completed with an "Unfit for Duty". Now it goes up to San Antonio to the IPEB for their determination. If they say I am fit for duty then I am good to go, but if they agree with the MEB then I have 10 days to agree or disagree. If I don't fight it then it goes up to the Secretary of the Air Force for his signature and will have 90 days from that date to get out. Since my commander wrote a letter saying that I am a hinderance to the SQ since I cannot deploy, I should be medically retired (what a great guy). It's O.K., because I am ready....too much stress and my body is taking a beating. With my service connected medical problems, I should get at least a 60% which will get me the CDRP. So I will get my retirement and CDRP. My MEB is for Type II diabetes. I take insulin which means I am not world wide deployable.

My MEB has been completed with an "Unfit for Duty". Now it goes up to San Antonio to the IPEB for their determination. If they say I am fit for duty then I am good to go, but if they agree with the MEB then I have 10 days to agree or disagree. If I don't fight it then it goes up to the Secretary of the Air Force for his signature and will have 90 days from that date to get out. Since my commander wrote a letter saying that I am a hinderance to the SQ since I cannot deploy, I should be medically retired (what a great guy). It's O.K., because I am ready....too much stress and my body is taking a beating. With my service connected medical problems, I should get at least a 60% which will get me the CDRP. So I will get my retirement and CDRP. My MEB is for Type II diabetes. I take insulin which means I am not world wide deployable.

mrjenks,

You post you recieve 60 % service connected disability.

I still do not understand how you can be rated 60 % service connected

if you are still active duty ?

This must be something DOD is saying and not VA.

Can you explain please.

Thanks,

carlie

I'm going to be blunt (like I always am). You said in your post "...if they say I am fit for duty then I am good to go..."; yet you are trying to get TDIU if you are medically retired????

Can't have it both ways. Either you can work or you can't.