VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got A Call From My Doc About Mri

Rate this question

Jayg

Question

I have a new(?) development. My VA PC Doc just called me. He was looking at the results of the MRI (of my lower back) just done for C&P and also the earlier neuropathy study (the one the Dr. wouldn't repeat) and allowed the MRI showed significant damage. He also commented that the nerve study and knees showed fairly pronounced problems. I can barely hear over the phone and so I can't say what exactly what words he used but I don't think they'll be able to call my condition "mild" any more! Any way, he asked if I wanted to schedule surgery for my back! I begged off saying I wanted to discuss it in more detail, the risk/benefit equation, that sort of thing. I did not say "it ain't that bad." I'm not thrilled at the idea of any surgery but I'll be dipped if I want them to cut on any part of me that isn't service connected if I can avoid it!!!

Concerning that (sc) I recall there was a comment in a C&P report that they were to contact my PC Physician for comment on nexus. I asked Dr. --- about that and that scared him off. He at first said he didn't see anything about that and then did say he recalled a note about it and then he had to go to the bathroom and had to get off the phone in a hurry. ):~/

It's in the C&P report from March this year, "Primary Care Red Team providers have written in their assessments that "flat foot contribute to lower back and knee pain" but there is not an explanation for this statement that goes along with these assessments by them. Orthopedics has seen the veteran for his knee pain, but they have not made an association nor comment on his flat foot condition contributing to his knee condition.* They have asked Primary care to address the veteran's pedal edema, anemia, and generalized weakness on 6-2-08." Hmmm. That was a month ago. I wonder what became of that. Anyway, it looks like it hinges on what Dr. Keller decides to say at this point. I have no idea what he may say about 'nexus.' As far as I can tell, he would, personally, agree that my conditions are "at least as likely as not." But will he commit to it on paper??? That I don't know.

* Some little while back, I brow beat my Dr. into making some, any, comment into my records and that was the best I could get out of him. Now its a question of how he chooses to explain it off. He may also have been concerned about his call being recorded too.

I have a regularly scheduled appointment with the doctor on the 22 of Sept. Maybe I can pin him down on exactly what my condition is, and what we can, and/or should, do about it. Am I right on holding out for service connection before letting them do anything to those parts?

GADS! That reminds me. I have been meaning to give someone a call here lately about another issue. Maybe this is a good time to do it and dump both on him. I provided this note in case he reads this and wonders...

Edited by Jayg

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Flat feet can cause Many disorders to include back, ankle, and knee problems.

"Primary Care Red Team providers have written in their assessments that "flat foot contribute to lower back and knee pain" but there is not an explanation for this statement that goes along with these assessments -I would think this is certainly the nexus you need-

you could even find medical rationale for that statement on the internet.

If a vet has pronation (I have that but am not a vet) or supination that is severe it can certainly cause balance problems and knee pain etc.

I was concerned some time ago that my knee tended to feel like it was giving way.

I use a chain saw and power tools and need to be stable.

My reg doc sent me to a podiatrist and he ordered special orthonics for each foot (540 bucks and my insurance didnt cover them ) but well worth it-

and a chronic back problem I had which I attributed to years of heavy labor on the farm vanished with the new orthos.

Your problems are by far more serious then mine but it just goes to show that either your feet are causing the knee problems or the MRI revealed even other causes.

I would think that foot problems can cause such severe alignment problems that their could be a pronounced affect to the spine, hips etc.

There is at least one case at the BVA where the vet's SC flat feet caused him so many other problems he was awarded TDIU.