VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Now Scheduled For Htn C & P Exam - Qq?

Rate this question

bob_abad

Question

Hi gang,

After 18 months, I finally received a C & P exam which is scheduled in couple of weeks. VA has all my records about my HTN(Hypertention) since originally claimed(part of AO) on Y2004. I appealed since early Y2008.

QQs:

1. Should I bring also a private doctor's IMO indicating how serious my HTN is in the private side versus in VA records, it is not that bad? See, I take my pills(losartan & Atenolol) before I head to VA appt. Thereby, my high blood presure reading is close to normal as per my VA record file was updated by a nurse or LVN prior to seeing my VA PC doctor.

2. Or, should I not worry at all as this is just to confirm that I have an ongoing HTN as part of my C & P exam?

3. Been a while since my last C & P. Is this a good sign that after my C & P exam, my appeal claim could be completed for processing?

Thanks for your time in advance!

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hypertension controlled by medication is a 10% rating I have severe heart problems and my hypertension is rated at 10% and CAD at 60% do NOT stop your meds just to get a high blood pressure reading for a C&P I don't know how they view the nexus to AO most of the vets I have seen get rated for HTN are also rated I think for Diabetes 2 some of the smarter people here know more than I do though my HTN is secondary to PTSD

Were your private med records before you were put on meds? I would think that if they were then they might not matter much because that being on meds that work (which is good!) it's kinda a moot point.

I'm on HBP meds also so I know how it is.

The private doc's statement should help your claim but only if you have a definitive doctor's statement that the HBP is due to the CAD.I suggest to bring this info to the C & P doc but also make sure you have submitted this as evidence to the VARO.

In most cases that might seem obvious (HBP from CAD) but we deal with the VA- they dont consider the obvious unless it is clearly spelled out to them.

My former rep had this problem-

the VA didnt want to rate his HBP at more than "0" nor find it as seconday to his CAD from AO DMII.

He finally prevailed.He had an IMO.

VA likes to state a vet's HBP is "essential" ,meaning there is no known cause.

Did you private doc associate the HBP directly with your SC CAD?

Hi Berta,

Good to hear from you also.

1. In my original case reopen claim, I had an IMO from my private PC doctor as an evidence. My HTN was diagnosed after my DM-II(AO) and Diabetic Neprhopathy(AO) diagnosis.

2. VA internal procedure/guideline indicated I should have been granted HTN service connection.

3. I was denied earlier because according to VA, my private PC doctor did not review my VA c-file. Thanks to hadit crew, I was reminded about a new law as of 12/01/08. That my private PC doctor is not required to review my c-file.

The VARO rep stated a while back I have a strong case. I am hoping this upcoming C & P exam is just to confirm my HTN and if approved, looking forward for additional 10%.

Praying...

• HadIt.com Elder

With the SC Diabetes you should be granted now with that said many ROs won't grant it and make the vets appeal to the BVA so don't take it personal if they make you go that route I was told by everyone that I would NEVER get my CAD sc secondary to my PTSD well I did it took a lot of years and an appeal to the BVA but the Judge DID grant it

sometimes the RO wants to be forced to do the right thing

Edited by Testvet

Diabetic Nephropathy (disease of kidneys)

should definitely get you a HBP SC rating.

I think the raters get diabetic neuropathy mixed up with nephropathy-

2 distinctly different secondarys to DMII.

You are absolutely correct- since the HBP was diagnosed after the DMII and you have the nephropathy-the VA "is required to grant service connection for hypertension as secondary to Type 2 diabetes."

VBM 2008 Edition page 193.National Veterans Legal Services Program.

Am I reading your post correctly?

Is that word 'nephropathy' (due to kidney/renal disease)?

I regret I missed this before if you mentioned the nephropathy.

In a few hours my new PC will get here and I might be off the board for a day or so getting used to it-

But I will be able to scan and attach the exact page from the VBM you need-(my old printer scanner is shot)

Unless you can find it in M21-1MR Part III ,Subpart iv ,4.F.22 e