VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Wait For Ssdi

Rate this question

unique

Question

I have been waiting two years for Social Security to make a decision on my SSDI claim. Can someone give me some advice on dealing with the wait. How long did it take for your claim with Social Security to be approved.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am still waiting on mine, but my wife filed in June 07 and was awarded in May 09. I think the wait time is dependent on where you file and how large the Soc. Sec. que for the Administrative Law Judge is. But this was for an appeal, as the claim was originally denied.

Are you saying you have been waiting two years on the initial claim, and not appeal? If so, then there must be something very wrong.

• HadIt.com Elder

Two years is way to long. I think that you should inquire as to what is going on with your claim. If it were me I would go to the Social Security Office and have someone explain to me.

Good Luck

Find out the phone number of the Disability Determinations Services working on your claim.

Call them and find out who is assigned to your claim and speak with them.

Ask to speak to their supervisor.

Here in Portland, Oregon- my initial denial and reconsideration denial took almost a year, and there's a 2-year wait to see an ALJ (judge).

All the best!

Hi Unique,

I originally filed for SSDI in 2004. They denied me and I just gave up. Well then I reapplied in Dec. 2007 with the assistance of an Attorney firm (Binder & Binder) and was just awarded SSDI in Aug. 2009 with a retro date of Jan. 06. So, I waited about 2 years.

Cherie33

Thanks for all the answers. I was denied on the initial claim which took about 4 months and the reconsideration which took about 1 year. I have been waiting 1 year for a hearing and I live in Georgia.

- Thanks again

• HadIt.com Elder

You know they farm the actual determination out to the state. I don't understand tha, but it is the state of Florida office of disability determination that granted mine. They are quite dumb. They give you a list of self-report questions that ask questions about your ability to work and take care of yourself. They ask if you can wipe your own butt.