VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo Doctors In Oklahoma?

Rate this question

Guest morgan

Question

Guest morgan

I am helping a veteran who has diabetes, with complications that have caused him to be unable to have heart stents "due to diabetes narrowing of his arteries." He told me that he had high blood sugar in service about 22 years ago, so I told him he needed to get a copy of his C-file. He tried to get his medical records, but various delays from his file floating around from place to place (for two years) kept him from getting them. Finally, a few weeks ago he got his SMRs and the file shows that he was sent to a dietitian and the doctor made a comment about possible diabetes. His SMR labs showed his A1C above 8.0, at least once. Due to a recent move, he hasn't looked closer to see if other labs showed it as high at other times. He said he always had symptoms that he now realizes were diabetes related, but until his 60% heart blockage in three arteries showed up, he didn't know he needed treatment. Since diabetes is incurable, I believe he likely can get service connection for diabetes and his cardio problems based on his SMRs and his current diagnosis and treatment. But how would his having no treatment for 18 years play out? He just got a certificate at the VA for completing a diabetes clinic. His sugar is hard to control. Byetta (sp?) from a private doctor was helping control it, but the VA won't provide it, so he has plenty of VA labs showing high sugar levels. He will be able to get the Byetta now that he has a new job in Oklahoma, but he simply had to take what he could get at the VA for a while.

Can someone here advise me how to go about helping his claim? Will he need an outside IMO?

He moved to Oklahoma from South Carolina recently. He has an active claim in South Carolina seeking a higher rating for his hearing. He should get word soon, so he's not sure whether to have his file sent to Oklahoma or wait until after that decision.

I remember seeing somewhere on hadit.com that there are doctors in Oklahoma who have started helping veterans with IMOs and exams. Can someone give me that information again? I tried to find it with the hadit search feature but didn't find it.

Thanks,

Morgan

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Dr Ellis

Ellis Clinic

Oklahoma City

I don't have his contact info handy, just google them.

"His SMR labs showed his A1C above 8.0, at least once."

That documentation could be critical to proving his diabetes was evident inservice.

If he is not a AO Vietnam veteran-his SMRs need to be thoroughly checked for any of the multiple symptoms that diabetes can cause.

Morgan it was symptoms of diabetes that helped me win my claim in April.

Rod was an AO vet but the words diabetes never once appeared in his SMRS or any med recs.

I proved he had been misdiagosed as to other conditions that caused his death 14 years ago and then after filing a new AO diabetes claim 6 years ago-I proved that untreated and undiagnosed diabetes is what led to his death. VA agreed.

Also I had vet who needed to prove diabetes in service. That too took a long time- but his SMRs (when we finally decifered them) revealed many documented medical symptoms of diabetes. His local endocrinologist agreed and he won his claim.

The symptomatology of diabetes for any vet not under the AO presumptive regs-if documented in their SMRs- could be the way to an award and it sure helps to submit an IMO from a real doctor-otherwise VA says we are not competent medically to opine on this stuff.

The local vet- I actually proved that his many inservice diagnoses of venereal disease were in fact manifestations of an unusual diabetic manifestation, and that he had documented symptoms urinary problems, and even fainting spells that the Mil considered malingering and did not treat.

This was a difficult case but after twelve years he won.

By then he had developed cataracts and CAD from the diabetes.

There is a wealth of info on diabetes on the web-I used Mayo Clinic , Joslin, the ADA and Diabetologica web sites- as well as the VA's own diabetes training letter for both this vet's claim and mine.

Oddly enough (since I researched for my claim for the full 6 years it took VA to award it) much of the original information had changed a little becaue the medical community continues to study and learn more about diabetes.

3 weeks before the BVA decided my claim I had ordered my 4th IMO from a Cardiologist and then reviewed again my husband's autopsy.

There was one word in it that I considered not really probative and I never looked it up until 3 weeks before the BVA decision-

It was absolute bonafide prime facie evidence that proved my claim!

I whipped this evidence off to the BVA (The autopsy page it was on and the internet printout) and I got an award letter 3 weeks later.

The Award rested heavily on my IMos but still- this single word -which my IMOs didnt even mention-could have been the sole undebatable argument for my claim and awarded it- so it just goes to show that we can do lots of research but we cannot overlook a single thing.

Hopefully we are going to do a show soon on diabetes at SVR radio-

Diabetes is one of the most underdiagnosed and undertreated diseases in America.

It doesnt kill anyone- it's complications however can be deadly.

The IAC reading this vet got-I hesitate to reply on my memory but I think an IAC reading is indicative somehow of prior months of potential high glucose.

If I can find more on that I will post it here.