VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Questions On Seperation Exam + Ventting

Rate this question

MrFreedomforAll

Question

Good Evening.

My wife is a traditonal reservist that had been on active duty orders for about 4 years straight. She had really bad migraines and has since 9/11. She was in the Pentagon when it was attacked she was not hurt physically but emtionally she is wreck. She is okay until someone mentions it and then you can see the look on her face change. She totally avoids everything that has to do with it and does not even want to talk about it.

I think that she has PSTD.

Back to the migraines. She goes to the hospital at least 6 times per year if not more to get pain free from the headaches. About 2 months ago she was hospitalized with staus migrainous. She has not had a very many neuro consults because the hospitals here are so backed up. So she has not been boarded and does not want to either. She can not work a regular job because the moment she gets stress she get a migraine that last for days. She has to take a naroctic to get some relief.

She has a phsyical scheduled late next week. Any thing that she need to ask the doctor to do, or order. She will be going back to be a traditional reserv.

She also has the following medical issues as well

Back Pain ( They would not order a MRI by they wanted her to do PT, she went about 3 times but she said it was hurting her she stopped going)Knee Pains ( She hurt her knee a couple of years ago and has a LOD for it

PSTD? ( I am not a doctor) She does have a previous note of adjustment disorder when she miscarried a set of twins

Sexual Abuse ( Right before I meet her, while she was on oders she was raped by one of her family members)

UTI's

Flat feet from wearing thoses boots.

She is a good woman and a work-a-holic. Her unit abuses her. She can be on leave and they will call her in to do something. She stays late and comes in early.

Since she has been on orders she has become a different person. Only concerned about work. She does not take care of herself anymore. Her eyes are bad from sitting at the computer so much. She types so much at work you can see her rubbing them when she comes home. She takes care of everyone else. I do understand Service Before Self, but she is literally killing herself. Last week her unit told her they were taking her off orders. She does not know why. Just a bunch of rumors. She had started to have chest pains and will not go to the doctor because she is afraid of getting boarded.

She is so tired when she comes home that she has no patience for me and our children.

What do you all recommend to ask the doctor for in her Pysical Exam? I am going to the doctor with her so I will make sure she gets squared away. I plan on having her put in a VA Claim after her orders are finsished.

Any recommenations... Anything you all can think of that will help

Please

Thank you

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If your wife is fimiliar with the board then she knows not to expect much. She will most likely be found unfit and if she does not have 15 years she will be adminstrativly discharged. I went before the board in 2006 found unfit an retired in 2007 I had 20 years. I do not no much about PTSD but I am very fimiliar with the AF Res MEB/PEB process and it is not worth 2 cent. All they wont to do is get her out off the rolls if she is ill. Her fear is probibly because she has seen how they discard members with no support at all. I never even recieved a call from my commander and I was on his staff.

You are in the right place post and the people here will help guide you in the right direction. Good luck! I hope your wif gets the help she has earned.

Should I have her get the buddy statements now or wait until later?

Yes, get the buddy statements ASAP and be sure they have the person's

name,rank,service number,address, phone numbers, what unit and exactly

where they were stationed along with their connection to your wife.

Some people also like to get the signature notorized.

It's real easy to loose contact down the road or a buddy or two die during the claims process.

jmho,

carlie

Should I have her get the buddy statements now or wait until later? She has a copy of the award write up, the award and pics when it was presented to her. She was also featured in a newspaper.

Here is a link to the STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF CLAIM, VA Form 21-4138, commonly referred to as a "buddy statement".

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-4138-ARE.pdf

this is found near the top of the form:

RESPONDENT BURDEN: We need this information to obtain evidence in support of your claim for benefits (38 U.S.C. 501(a) and (:huh:). Title 38, United States Code, allows us to ask for thisinformation. We estimate that you will need an average of 15 minutes to review the instructions, find the information, and complete this form. VA cannot conduct or sponsor a collection ofinformation unless a valid OMB control number is displayed. You are not required to respond to a collection of information if this number is not displayed. Valid OMB control numbers can belocated on the OMB Internet Page at www.whitehouse.gov/omb/library/OMBINV.html#VA. If desired, you can call 1-800-827-1000 to get information on where to send comments orsuggestions about this form.

uh, sans smiley sunglasses dude. that was a b and a ) which i guess means smiley sunglasses dude in cyber-text. although, maybe she'll feel more like that once she's made it past the claims obstacle course. you gotta keep your humor intact.

Here is a link to the STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF CLAIM, VA Form 21-4138, commonly referred to as a "buddy statement".

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-4138-ARE.pdf

this is found near the top of the form:

RESPONDENT BURDEN: We need this information to obtain evidence in support of your claim for benefits (38 U.S.C. 501(a) and ( B) ). Title 38, United States Code, allows us to ask for thisinformation. We estimate that you will need an average of 15 minutes to review the instructions, find the information, and complete this form. VA cannot conduct or sponsor a collection ofinformation unless a valid OMB control number is displayed. You are not required to respond to a collection of information if this number is not displayed. Valid OMB control numbers can belocated on the OMB Internet Page at www.whitehouse.gov/omb/library/OMBINV.html#VA. If desired, you can call 1-800-827-1000 to get information on where to send comments orsuggestions about this form.

out_here04,

I'm sure it could be used but in over 30 years I have never seen a 21-4138 referred to as,

STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF CLAIM, VA Form 21-4138, commonly referred to as a "buddy statement".

A buddy statement or lay evidence from family member's,is usually just go on a plain sheet

of paper, the same as a NOD can be.

Personally I like to use the 21-4138 to list each item,when I submit more than one peice of

additional evidence such as:

1) VAMC ENT treatment record dated XX/XX/XXXX

2) VAMC MRI dated XX/XX/XXXX

3) Letter from employer - Company XXXXXX

Each peice of evidence I want considered, I will list as above on the 21-4138

as a way to try and ensure they have to consider each item.

I also myself, use this form for NOD's, to request a hearing, any additional Support

for the granting of what is being requested.

I just wanted to post that in my opinion, a 21-4138 is not really

"commonly referred to as a buddy statement".

carlie