VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dealing With Pain

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

Since weaning myself off my pain meds, so I can more safely drive my vehicle, which I had chosen not to drive since being on the pain meds, is getting harder and harder to deal with.

My pain meds have or rather, usually reduced my pain threshold to about 50% for the most part and in some areas it appeared to have reduced it to nearly 0%, since now I am experiencing pain in those areas, like I can't remember, having not had to deal with it in those areas for such a long time.

Life or rather my quality of life, even though I can drive my vehicle without the fear of causing an accident, due to the effects of a narcotic, has actually been reduced, since their are times when the pain is so bad, I am reduced laying in bed with out the strength to anything else. Even lying in bed becomes intolerble at times, I had forgotten how much of my anxiety was connected to my pain level and how often my panic attacks seemed to co-inside with my pain level.

I just don't know how much longer I will be able to contend with the pain, just because of my fear of being in an accident brought on by the affects of the pain meds. Now I fear I may be in an accident, becuase my attention was hampered while dealing with the pain and not on my driving.

I got to go now, because the pain in my hands, while typing is interfereing with my spelling the words I right, I have to keep making corrections as I go along, because my fingers don't seem to want to do or rather type the characters my fingers should reach to, twitching in pain as a move about the different key strokes.

Besides, it's time I should be thinking about something to eat for luch, which brings on a whole new set of pain issues from sitting to standing.

Rockhound Rider :P B) B)

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

I take hydrocodone before I go to bed and when I get up. By the time I would drive in car it has been 8 hours or more. I also take aprazolam in morning and before I go to bed and if needed if panic flares up.

Ask your Doc about driving ext if you are well managed for pain.

i used to not think much about pain except when i hit my finger with a hammer . i did not know what constant pain was. NOW I KNOW!

i am in constant pain legs, feet and feel sick all over i do not know what is wrong with me ,i have hep.c,but they say most people do not even know they have it and i dont know if that is the cause.

i tried to jog and was going to get a routine but , but that set off a week of severe pain.i thought maybe if i could jog a little it would make the pain in my legs go away. i feel sick all the time and have no energy sometimes i want to end it all.

the next time i go to see doc at va i am going to have to lay it on the linne how serious my pain is and how sick i feel.

i cannot eat food,it makes me sick to look at it ,i live off ensure and it is expensive.

I have severe debilitating arthritis and that means PAIN. I am unemployed due to pain among other issues. I restrict my driving to short haul runs such as checking the cows in a nearby pasture. I am fortunate in having a wife capable and willing to be the chauffeur. I realize many here have no such option. Like others, I have been reduced to laying/sitting with fists and teeth clenched in pain minus meds. Heck, I can get nearly that bad ON meds. I resisted getting onto the narcotics as long as I could but ran out of options.

Do the non-narcotic meds do you any good? You might look for compromise in your meds. You know, what you take or when and how often you have to take it.

Hey Rock, how you doing bud sorry to hear about the things your going through I hope you get to feeling better about all this mess ..Yog

Skunk,

Try purchasing your ensure at the local hospital or nursing home instead of rite aid, or where-ever. It was way way cheaper for us when we were buying it for my father-in-law. Also, you may ask for a CBC blood test. Make sure when you next see your doc you dont eat or drink past midnight so they can get a fasting test and check your white count. A high white blood cell count can cause exactly what you are talking about, it can also be accompanied with a low red count, or maybe other variables. I feel for ya man. You too Rock. I have delt with this issue for 7 years, and have been on the brink with it a few times. If that happens, call and talk to someone... it helps.

I also chose to discontinue driving.. well it's a dead issue now, but when I still could with hand controls, I wouldnt due to the pain meds. I just didnt want to kill someones kid, ya know. I appreciate your decision with this Rock, since my daughter is on the roads too. However, there comes a point sometimes when you just have to give stuff up. Sometimes it seems like thats all I have done.... anyway God Bless man.

Bob Smith

Since weaning myself off my pain meds, so I can more safely drive my vehicle, which I had chosen not to drive since being on the pain meds, is getting harder and harder to deal with.

My pain meds have or rather, usually reduced my pain threshold to about 50% for the most part and in some areas it appeared to have reduced it to nearly 0%, since now I am experiencing pain in those areas, like I can't remember, having not had to deal with it in those areas for such a long time.

Life or rather my quality of life, even though I can drive my vehicle without the fear of causing an accident, due to the effects of a narcotic, has actually been reduced, since their are times when the pain is so bad, I am reduced laying in bed with out the strength to anything else. Even lying in bed becomes intolerble at times, I had forgotten how much of my anxiety was connected to my pain level and how often my panic attacks seemed to co-inside with my pain level.

I just don't know how much longer I will be able to contend with the pain, just because of my fear of being in an accident brought on by the affects of the pain meds. Now I fear I may be in an accident, becuase my attention was hampered while dealing with the pain and not on my driving.

I got to go now, because the pain in my hands, while typing is interfereing with my spelling the words I right, I have to keep making corrections as I go along, because my fingers don't seem to want to do or rather type the characters my fingers should reach to, twitching in pain as a move about the different key strokes.

Besides, it's time I should be thinking about something to eat for luch, which brings on a whole new set of pain issues from sitting to standing.

Rockhound Rider :P :huh: B)

I am really sorry your in this situation, I think for your health you are better off taking the pain meds. Severe pain can have a profound impact on your health. Maybe you can have a friend/family member drive you, or neighbor. Talk to your doctor about this maybe he can offer alternative options.

Good luck,