VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Question

Rate this question

gp747

Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

i am currently sc for bi-polar and was wondering, if ptsd if you claim it would it be seperate from the bi-polar and not be combined as one ?

Oh our little skunky boy -- you know that generally speaking, all mental health disabilities

are rolled into one.

Now something that could play into it - say,

Someone is SC'd for PTSD at XX percent and none of their medical evidence

mentions anything about depression.

Fast forward 2 years down the road and now the veteran is having lots of problems due to depression from the PTSD (and there is now medical evidence of this).

The veteran can file a claim for increase in the PTSD percentage previously granted

as there is now medical evidence of an increase in the degree of disability, due to the depression.

I hope I got that out right, if not someone will correct me I'm sure ~ lol.

I'm so glad your helping your vet buddy.

carlie

Oh our little skunky boy -- you know that generally speaking, all mental health disabilities

are rolled into one.

Now something that could play into it - say,

Someone is SC'd for PTSD at XX percent and none of their medical evidence

mentions anything about depression.

Fast forward 2 years down the road and now the veteran is having lots of problems due to depression from the PTSD (and there is now medical evidence of this).

The veteran can file a claim for increase in the PTSD percentage previously granted

as there is now medical evidence of an increase in the degree of disability, due to the depression.

I hope I got that out right, if not someone will correct me I'm sure ~ lol.

I'm so glad your helping your vet buddy.

carlie

yep carlie thats me, thanks

Skunk,

I am 50% SC for Bipolar, and I am posting part of the Reason for Decision that was sent to me:

An evaluation of 50 percent is assigned for occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than one a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g. retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgement; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships.

A higher evaluation of 70 percent is not warranted unless the are deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school,, family relations, judgment, thinking, of mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships.

Since I had many items that qualified me for 70%, I have appealed their decision!

I hope this helps...

Louis

Skunk,

I am 50% SC for Bipolar, and I am posting part of the Reason for Decision that was sent to me:

Since I had many items that qualified me for 70%, I have appealed their decision!

I hope this helps...

Louis

i am at 50% also and have lived at hospitals through the years as practically a second home. v.a. and state hospitals,been committed , i feel i should be at 70% also . when i first got my award they lowballed me at 30% and i had to fight to get 50%.

took me 8 years fighting the low lifes to get that. well actually about 40 years it is i just put my all into it the last 8 to ten years.

and it was a battle believe me i fought not only the v.a. but these sorry vso's who do not give a damn.

I have retained a NOVA lawyer for my appeal, since he doesn't get anything if we lose. If he gets 25% of the backpay, that is all well and good, because it means that I will be getting 75% of it; which is better than the nothing that I have now.

However, if I had to do it all over again, thanks to HadIt, I would have filed a request for reconsideration, before retaining a lawyer. As it was, I was almost too late to file the appeal.