VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Have A Cue, A Nod, A Rating Increase Request And A New Condition To Get Sc For...best Way To Do This?

Rate this question

Bill (USAF Retired)

Question

The good news: VA bumped me from 70% to 80% and have finally gotten off their duffs and paid me $14K in back pay (from date of retirement to date of award). Mrs. Bill is most pleased with me for not giving up the fight.

The bad news is that I have Round 2, a four-part claim. I need to:

1) NOD a rating I just received, and request a bump from 50% to 70%.

2) CUE my original rating for another condition. The record AND the rating decision both recite facts which clearly call for a 30% rating instead of the 10% I got.

3) Apply for service connection and rating of a new condition, because it is secondary to an existing 50% rated condition.

4) Apply for increase from 10% to 30% in yet another condition. I was at 10% because it was partially controlled with medication, but the doc says continuing to take said medication could kill me. That got my attention and I stopped taking it, so the condition is no longer controlled and has worsened.

Question: Can I do all of this in one claim, or do I need to split it into multiple submissions (NOD, CUE, and then do #3 and #4 as a combined claim)?

Thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions you care to provide.

Bill

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
The good news: VA bumped me from 70% to 80% and have finally gotten off their duffs and paid me $14K in back pay (from date of retirement to date of award). Mrs. Bill is most pleased with me for not giving up the fight.

2) CUE my original rating for another condition. The record AND the rating decision both recite facts which clearly call for a 30% rating instead of the 10% I got.

3) Apply for service connection and rating of a new condition, because it is secondary to an existing 50% rated condition.

4) Apply for increase from 10% to 30% in yet another condition. I was at 10% because it was partially controlled with medication, but the doc says continuing to take said medication could kill me. That got my attention and I stopped taking it, so the condition is no longer controlled and has worsened.

Question: Can I do all of this in one claim, or do I need to split it into multiple submissions (NOD, CUE, and then do #3 and #4 as a combined claim)?

Bill

A CUE claim cannot address any evidence not of at the time of the decision when an error was made so that CUE should be filed seperately.Each V.A. decision requires an NOD which addresses all issues on that decision including service connection, percentage of rating, application of rating schedule, effective date, etc. Remember you get only only one NOD with each decision so made it comprehensive and complete in terms of issues and in terms of V.A. law and regulations. I am undertain what to tell you about the issue of combining 3 and 4. Personally, I'm inclined to think that you should separate these into 2 claims since one is an increase and the other is a claim for service connection on a new condition.

I have been waiting to see an answer to this question, because I remember a post where someone had made the statement "if you combine all diagnoses into one claim, then the VA will lowball one and deny all the others, effectively tying up everything in the one claim". But I couldn't find it, or even remember who posted it.

Louis

Edited by Bonzai

• HadIt.com Elder

What claim is going to be the money claim? I think I would file the NOD and then combine all the other claims including the CUE. The quicker you get a denial on the CUE the quicker you can file an appeal. If we are talking a lot of retro then your VARO probably won't approve the CUE. If your CUE is strong hire a lawyer to to forward to the BVA and beyond. I filed two claims including a CUE. The new claims were granted the CUE was denied. You will get a VCAA letter on the new claims,but not on the CUE, unless they don't know what they are doing. There are some here who can do CUE's but I suggest getting professional help. How far back does your CUE go in time?

Bill,

Congrats and spend your back-pay wisely.

OH - sorry for that my friend, I just realized YOU probably won't get to spend much of it ~ lol, so tell Mrs. Bill to spend it wisely.

70% - does the medical evidence listed in the rating decision state what's

needed to meet the requirement's for a grant at 70 % ?

What is the date that "original rating" for another condition was made ?

Did you ever file a NOD on that rating decision and request 30 % instead of 10 % ?

So the new condition of what _________________,

is secondary to an existing SC'd disability of ________, as shown by

medical evidence of _______________________.

Did the doc put this in writing somewhere in your records ?

Can you tell us what the medication and condition is ?

carlie

Bill

Carlie, John999, Bonzai and Deltaj, thanks for responding :)

Carlie:

does the medical evidence listed in the rating decision state what's needed to meet the requirements for a grant at 70% ?

It's really on the borderline between the two, but in my admittedly biased view the clinical picture more closely approximates the higher rating. I'm in constant treatment for this, so the medical record keeps strengthening my case. I figure I should NOD it because that gives me a shot at retro, and then if nothing else they may say "no, our original decision was right but you deteriorated to 70% on (insert date)."

What is the date that "original rating" for another condition was made ?

Did you ever file a NOD on that rating decision and request 30 % instead of 10 % ?

The original rating decision was issued in May 2008, retroactive to 1 November 2006.

If you are prescribed a certain category of medication for that condition, it's supposed to be a 30% rating.

They recited that I was receiving that medication and then gave me 10%.

No, I didn't NOD it. I was a bad boy. Frankly, I was grateful to get the 70% right out of the barrel.

Since it's 1) over a year since the original rating decision, and 2) clearly erroneous on its face, that's my cue (ha, I slay me!) to file a CUE. (Deltaj, does it sound like I'm on the right track here?)

So the new condition of what bilateral hand tremors , is secondary to an existing SC'd disability of PTSD/major depressive disorder (severe), as shown by medical evidence of tremors worsening as primary condition intensified, clonazepam prescribed by VA neurologist to treat said tremors having no effect whatsoever, VA neurologist finding no organic cause for said tremors, said tremors being well-known sequelae of PTSD as documented in (insert literature), it is more likely than not that my bilateral hand tremors are psychogenic rather than neurogenic and are sequelae of my existing service connected PTSD.

(Note for the combat guys: I am not one of you, I was a REMF. I would never want anyone to infer this was combat related. Y'all got yours the hard way, I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.)

Did the doc put this in writing somewhere in your records ? Can you tell us what the medication and condition is ?

Migraines, partially controlled with Imitrex. I was receiving Imitrex for them through TRICARE, as it is not VA formulary. The chief of psychiatry for my local VAMC looked at my med mix and noted in my records that I should not continue to take Imitrex (when combined with my other meds) it could cause potentially fatal serotonin syndrome. All my plans revolve around not being dead, so I listened to the good doctor and stopped Imitrex. The migraines are no longer controlled by medication, and their frequency meets the criteria for a 30% rating.

Again, thanks to all.

Bill

Carlie, one more thing :)

I shared the news with Mrs. Bill and the first words out of her mouth were "what are you going to do with it?" I set aside enough to fund a trip to Wales, then paid off bills with the rest (almost debt free now, woohoo!)