VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Surgery

Rate this question

KellyO

Question

I get regular injections for my knees, the diagnosis is for chonromylacia.

I had a re-exam and my knees went from 0 - 10% each so along with my other claims I am now at 50%.

The DR at the VA at my last inject suggested that I really should have my right knee scoped, the MRI comes up negative but the crepitus and poping are both audible and feels really nasty so there is something going on .

If I elect to try surgery and presumebly something is going to be taken out or fixed are they going to put me back at a 0% for that knee?

Also if they are taking parts out like cartilage it never grows back so it is going to degenerate over time which I know means another claim.

My biggest concern is that they get in there and decide to do nothing so I just spent a couple days away from home, (about 6 hours) loss of wages, hotel for familiy (Wife, 5 children) and hten they tell me its nothing major (I dont htink it is) and decide it shouldnt be bothering me that much.

Also At my last injection a couple days later my knee really started to hurt, like almost cant walk hurt. I am calling today to get another apt, I am concerned the the injection that was done by a PA had a bad stick, i.e. being a anatomical needle stick tha she knicked or ripped somehting up with the needle.

Anyway kind of windy but basically, if they do the surgery I presuem I go temp 100% until recovery, will they then do a re-evaluation or will I have to request one? also how long does the rating take to go into effect? And will they pay some kind of perdiem for my wife to come with so I can get home Id rather not drive afterwords.

Thanks for the help

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

KellyO,

The injections aren't doing anything perminate, but usually do help for a time, at least they do for Me.

Does your work require you to be on your feet bending, etc. all day?

It's also your choice to be scoped or not, but you won't know what's going on in there and if surgery would help or not until the doc. takes a look.

I doubt that your going to get better, I haven't in 25 years, only worse. However, it depends on what the scope reveals is causing the pain.

Do you wear a sleeve or brace on the knee, that helps me some.

Someone else will have to answer the question about going temp. to 100%, I'm sure someone will answer, just remember it takes a little time, as people will give answers when they can.

Take care, and good luck,

BoonDoc

It is my understanding that Temp 100% is for SC stays of a duration 21 days and longer. The link below covers the regulation

regarding this issue:

38 C.F.R. 4.29

Hope this helps,

Louis

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are going to have surgery I would worry more about what the surgery will do to you than about being re-evaluated by the VA. To get the 100% temp will probably mean a nice wait. I had my shoulder scoped 5 years ago. It is no better. It still hurts. Unless it is unbearable I suggest every alternative before you do it. It worked for Tiger Woods but he was 30 years old and got the very best PT. He would out for a year. If you are going to have to have a knee replacement one day because of deterioration of the knee I would put if off as long as possible. You will have a long recovery probably with lots of PT. Are you up for that? Get your knee evaluated by a private orthopod for a second opinion. Did you do PT already? If they scope you knee they will do something I bet. I would not trust the VA to treat my dog, if I had one.