VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Knee Problem And Vamc Treatment

Rate this topic

one of my sc's is a torn meniscus, last check about 50 percent (of a tear), in one of my knees. this was shown in an mri but i haven't had one lately. i get the clothing allowance three years now but i would gladly give it up to be symptom free. i do not experience actually what i would call pain but it is a nagging sensation and i don't exercise much worried that i could make it worse.

my vamc primary care provider is a physicians assistant and i do consider him one of the good ones. although we have talked about it off and on i have never gotten the referral to go to orthopedics. in the military this would have been pretty much automatic. last conversation he told me that va is leaning more toward physical therapy now. i am watching the mail to see if an appointment letter shows up. he may have put in the consult for another mri, not sure.

thing is, i can see how physical therapy can help build up support muscles in my leg around my knee but this doesn't, in my mind, do anything to take care of the meniscus tear -- may even aggravate it.

my own research ran across something about one type of tear is slow or maybe will never heal because blood flow does not get there once it's torn. i'm thinking that's the kind i have. i have heard about scoping and trimming any debris to ease symptoms.

i'm posting this just to get other opinions on what you would do, or if you have experienced knee issues similar to this.

out_here04

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 10 percent service connected for my left knee, I should be service connected for my right knee as well. I have had torn meniscus in both knees and I know what you are going through. That numbness and funny sensation is your torn meniscus getting caught withing the joint space of your knee or patella (kneecap). Surgery will fix the problem for a number of years but then you have to worry about arthritis as well as continued pain, since they meniscus won't be there to keep the bone from rubbing against bone. I elected to go under the knife five times two for the left knee and three for the right. I'm saying this because now the only option for me is knee replacement. The choice is yours get it scoped now and feel better, but you can expect to have to revisit it at some point. Good luck. Can I ask what you recieve clothing alllowance for, since that may be something I may be eligible for.

navydoc, i have worn a hinged knee brace for three years. it is black nylon type, velcro straps in two places, above and below my kneecap. there is an aluminumish metal hinge on each side that runs through the fabric and hinges in the middle about kneecap level. there are others that are just plastic that do not allow a range of motion (not sure if those qualify for the clothing allowance). my vamc primary care provider prescribed it and sent me down to the supply section of the vamc hospital.

you get the annual clothing allowance for wearing anything with metal (such as this device) or using a wheelchair (that potentially rubs or spits oil on clothes) that could ruin your clothing. it is being paid at a little over $700 this year. i haven't gotten mine yet, but many are reporting on a separate thread that they are. it is paid around this time of year. you have to certify annually. vro sends you a form and tells you to send it to your local vamc's prosthetics and sensory aids (132) section. i did again this year and should get the money.

i would not have even known about the clothing allowance if i, during a visit to my dav/vso he hadn't noticed it and said "you know you can get a clothing allowance for that..." i think i was getting it then even though rated 0 percent.

navydoc, i have worn a hinged knee brace for three years. it is black nylon type, velcro straps in two places, above and below my kneecap. there is an aluminumish metal hinge on each side that runs through the fabric and hinges in the middle about kneecap level. there are others that are just plastic that do not allow a range of motion (not sure if those qualify for the clothing allowance). my vamc primary care provider prescribed it and sent me down to the supply section of the vamc hospital.

you get the annual clothing allowance for wearing anything with metal (such as this device) or using a wheelchair (that potentially rubs or spits oil on clothes) that could ruin your clothing. it is being paid at a little over $700 this year. i haven't gotten mine yet, but many are reporting on a separate thread that they are. it is paid around this time of year. you have to certify annually. vro sends you a form and tells you to send it to your local vamc's prosthetics and sensory aids (132) section. i did again this year and should get the money.

i would not have even known about the clothing allowance if i, during a visit to my dav/vso he hadn't noticed it and said "you know you can get a clothing allowance for that..." i think i was getting it then even though rated 0 percent.

I have been wearing that brace since '05 have them for both knees, did not know that I could qualify for a clothing allowance. Thank you. You see if it was not for vets talking to vets on a site like this the VA would have us all in the dark. Thank again and thanks hadit.