VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help For Widow?

Rockytop

Question

Thanks Carlie,

Asking on behalf of a friendly long time neihbor of mine.

Is there anything this widow can do to get VA to help with her meds? medicade dose not cover.

History

Her late hubby was retired at the time of his death,(CANCER) 1989, he was a 30 year man retired us army E -6, cook, served in war war II, He retired back in 1964, sinse then they were living off his retirment pay, he died in 1989, leaving his widow behind, she ask about help from the VA back then (nothing was filed) and was told nothing could be done because he never had a insurance plan from the military/ OR reciving benefits at the time of his death other than retirement pay....which stop at the time of his death.

what this widow wants to know sinse she has been living off his SS,She has been stricken with Ostroprois bad its a decendeing bone diesease thats 10 times worse than ruhtomorid arthritis <ms,... its crippleing to say the least, she was doing ok just on his SS but now her pain meds are taking half of her SS check.

can she file a claim with the VA after all these years?? asking for help for her pain meds?

or is she just left behind and out in the cold ''sorta=speak?

any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
I am not Carlie- but need to ask- she doesn't fall under CHAMPUS?

Does she get Medicare or Medicaid?

If Medicare does she have Part D or can she apply in open season I think -not sure-the Medicare web site would have info on that-but it seemed you said she gets Medicaid

("medicade dose not cover.)

She could file a 21-526 and attempt to try to get his death service connected. She would not be able to receive any accrued benefits-too much time has passed-but with a direct SC death she could be eligible for CHAMPVA.

CHAMPVA is wonderful.

If a CHAMPVA person is Medicare eligible they must apply for Medicare Parts A and B to retain CHAMPVA after age 65.

I only have one prescribed med.

I think it costs 25-30 bucks but I only pay 4 bucks under CHAMPVA for refills.

There is a co pay to CHAMPVA too but between that and Medicare-many many things are well covered.

She can apply for direct SC death if there is anything that could possibly warrant this award.

She would also get DIC if the claim succeeds.

BUT that gets back to what you posted-

Medicaid is far different from Medicare-

Does she herself get disability benefits from Medicaid? or SSA? or SSI?

The VA widow's Wartime pension is income limited but perhaps that would provide her with a little more income as I would think she might be eligible-

but that depends too on how much she gets in SS benefits and any other income.

The 21-526 form covers eligibility for death pension too.

(I thought Medicaid covers everything- perhaps their web site would offer some help as I am confused as to what she actually does get)

Carlie, Since this widow was married to a servicemember who retired, I recommend you look online under eligibility for Tricare or CHAMPUS.

Edited by deltaj

• HadIt.com Elder

Good advice to call or contact the service (Army, Air Force, Navy, etc) retiree affairs office or personnel office. Last I read Tricare for life needs the recipient to maintain Medicare Part B (prescription coverage) fo Tricare for life insurance coverage. That's a summarized version - but there is help on most bases or posts

Good to help others~!

Cg'up2009!

• HadIt.com Elder
Good advice to call or contact the service (Army, Air Force, Navy, etc) retiree affairs office or personnel office. Last I read Tricare for life needs the recipient to maintain Medicare Part B (prescription coverage) fo Tricare for life insurance coverage. That's a summarized version - but there is help on most bases or posts

Good to help others~!

Cg'up2009!

I think you could also search online under Tricare AND eligibility and get a toll free phone number to call for information. I think you should at least help her apply for this benefit. Also if she doesn't qualify for Tricare and she has high medication costs you could help her look into Medicare Part D coverage to help pay for her medications. The Medicare handbook has information on a state program for low income people that pays Medicare Part B premiums. Her standard of living could be improved slightly with food stamps or commodities also. If she is the widow of a WWII veteran and has high medication costs she may be able to join the American Legion auxiliary and get an ScriptSave prescription discount card which will give her a discount on prescription medications at participating pharmacies. You'd need to contact the local pharmacy to find out whether this would be worth considering. You could buy her a gift membership in the American Legion Auxiliary for $15.00

Edited by deltaj