VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Have Ptsd And Orders To Deploy

Rate this question

bob barker

Question

i had a c&p exam first of the month, i was diagnosed with ptsd and a gaf score of 52. thats about all i know about the report. now i am waiting for my disability % from ptsd and my(forget what they call it) board of appeals apt. about my back arthritis,hearing loss, ringing ears and a couple others since they have all been denied. one week ago i got orders to deploy in oct in support of OIF. i am stuck in a rut about deploying, i know i can get out of it but i might go through with it anyways. i just wish i knew what i would get for my ptsd rating. and will they let me deploy with ptsd?

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Okay, I have been a member of this board for some time now and haven't really chimed in when somebody has a problem, due to the fact that most old timers on this board are very wise and know the system. however in regards to Bob Barker's comment that he is currently in the IRR and received orders IOT support OIF. I finally can add my two cents as a former Company Commander that helped train up 2 units for OIF.

Bob,

You are currently in the IRR and received orders. I know it may not be what you wanted to get and trust me the unit you will be assigned too, has no way of knowing your physical or emotional status. You may wish to contact the unit you will be assigned too's administrative staff and notify them of what is going on with you. I can speak with experience when i say that if you are currently being treated for PTSD, they don't want you deploying. You will put everybody else in danger, slow them down. You don't have to freak out and certainly do not deploy, just because you don't want to make waves. Gather the documents you have from the VA that show your diagnosis of PTSD as well as other ailments. Make copies and certify mail them to the unit you will be assigned to with a letter explaining the situation. If you feel more comfortable, contact your congressman/woman and nicely and politely let them know the situation and show them the paperwork. They can help you.

I can promise you at this point the unit you will be assigned to, has no idea who you are, they don't know you from squat. you need to be the one making contact. The more time you give them the longer they have to look for a replacement and trust me everything will go much smoother. If you wait until the last minute, you will be putting that unit in a pinch and they will do everything in their power to have you deploy as now the unit will deploy understrenght. If you shouldn't be there, they don't want you there.

It was very hard for me to inform my Battalion and Brigade Commander's, that I should not deploy back to a hostile area and i was in the prime of my military career. You have to look out for yourself as well as the safety and welfare of others. Do you think you will do anybody any good deploying to a hostile combat area with a diagnosis of PTSD and a gaf of 52? Also, any funds you awarded from the VA for Service Connection will be paid back from your basic pay while you are deployed. Dollar for dollar. Maybe not at first they won't catch it, but sometime int he future, the feds will find it and request it back trust me.

So do the right thing and contact the unit and inform them of the situation before you get yourslef in trouble...my 4 cents

Matt

• HadIt.com Elder

Bob

You have done your part. Just because your wound is not visible does not mean you don't have it. I don't believe they would deploy a guy with one arm or one eye.

Bob Barker

don't deploy, during my RVN days I went back to RVN, because I didn't like my Stateside Surrounding,

I went back and the tours were more intense to me, and today I am still living the events. Guess what I still don't like my surrounding.

I am 60 years Old now, if you see my point.

Don't Add to mental health challenges, you have done your part, we are proud of you.

Follow up on your VA claim and stay home with us!!!!