VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Restless Leg Syndrome?

Rate this question

alphahec

Question

I am currently receiving 10% compensation for a Paravertebral muscle spasm with leftward disc bulge noted at L5-S1 level; mild thecal sac compression with minimal narrowing of the left neural foramina; early degenerative changes of the posterior elements, or whatever that means.

Now I am suffering from Restless Leg Syndrome, and I believe it is due to the disc bulge.

Question: Has anyone received an award for secondary service-connection of Restless Leg Syndrome due to back injuries?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I've never heard of anyone getting it, the VA would probably categorize it as a "neurological defect, other" or some such... however you are underrated for your back prpobably at only 10% with paraspinal spasms - thats evidence for a higher rating, but we'd need to know a bit more about it.

Bob Smith

Restless leg syndrome is rated as within this BVA decision:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp09/files3/0918721.txt

In part it reads:

"The Veteran's restless leg syndrome of the lower right

extremity, and lower left extremity, have each been

separately rated as 10 percent disabling under 38 C.F.R.

§ 4.124a, DC's 8699-8620. See 38 C.F.R. § 4.27. This

hyphenated diagnostic code may be read to indicate that a

peripheral nerve disability is the service-connected

disorder, and it is rated as if the residual condition is

sciatic nerve neuritis under DC 8620."

But the decision wont help with what you need- a medical statement from a doctor that states the RLS is as likely as not secondary to your service connected condition.

Also-many medications can cause restless leg syndrome as a side affect. Have you studied the side affects of your SC meds to see if any of them could cause this condition?

You could raise the secondary issue with medical evidence to get this service connected-but I cannot tell if it would be at level greater than "0" SC and you could also raise claim for the RLS as secondary due to being a known side affect of any SC med you take that could cause it and attach a printout of the medication side affects list.

There is a lot of info on the net as to RLS and many decisions at the BVA regarding this condition.