VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Merck Manuals_a Trusted Source For Medical Information Available Free Online.

Rate this question

allan

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey! That's great.

I remember when my wife was getting her degree we bought the Merck Manual.......then, just a year later, when my oldest son was getting HIS degree he used the same book. And, when my daughter was getting HER degree.............by that time the original Merck that we purchased was kinda out-of-date.....so, as a present for her going back to school to finish up her degree....we bought her the fancy, leather-bound special edition.

We have kept the medical book-publishing companies in business........and, WOW, you wanna talk about some expensive books!

Heck, one of the oldest son's medical textbooks was, like, $600. Do THAT very many semesters in a row and, like they say, $400 here, $350 there....pretty soon you're talking REAL money. Fortunately, for some of the textbooks, they could be re-sold to students that were following up and filling the desks where my wife/kids HAD been sitting. But, some of the books were not just textbooks, but reference books that would be used throughout their career, such as the Merck Manual.

I am proud of ALL my kids (and, of course, my wife). They have chosen careers that actually give back to the communities in which they live, in a very positive way.

One is practicing way up in Meenysoda, for the IHS.

One is practicing in Lawton, OK, for the IHS.

One is donating time in research for The Cure.......she was also the hospice nurse for Susan G Komen and was there with her at the end.

I am proud.

Hey, did you know that that Merck website also has the Vet (NO NOT THAT VET) Merck Manual on-line!

KEWL!

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks for the tip on Vet merck online Larry. I'll check it out for these two little dogs we have.

It sounds like you have many reasons to be a proud husband & father.

What a blessing.

VA uses Merck too. I have used this manual for years.As well as MediLexicon-an excellent medical dictionary.

Medilexicon helped me to knock down 2 statements from a C & P 'expert'for my claim.

This is a Standard; I used to have to go over to close friend's pharmacy to read His, before they were online.

The PDR (Physician's Desk Reference) is another important book to have access too.

As a Corpsman We always had to have a PDR & Merck within an arms reach.

Good post Allen.

BoonDoc