VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vso Topic/forum

Rate this question

cannoncocker

Question

It would have been very helpful to me and I suspect many others to have a resource based on members experiences and recommendations on which to base their selection of a Veterans Service Organization specifically rating the members assistance received on their claim from the organization.

Not a place to flame any particular organization but to give specific examples and facts both good and bad. I have found that once you have chosen a VSO and signed the power of attorney it is difficult if not impossible to change organizations.

I could have saved myself much grief had I known from the beginning what to expect and the experiences of others, in particular in specific geographic areas since service would vary from VARO VSO Office or even local chapters.

That would have saved me much time and money had I known then what I know now. I hate for that knowledge to go to waste. I am sure many members have much to contribute in this area.

Just a suggestion

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I agree that most organizations do near to nothing for the benefit for the veteran. I will say that I work with a local county VSO, that has been a huge help to me. not only has he given me mental and emotional support thru the process, he has also served my best interest. i do believe that the best advocate for you is yoruself.

he has told me that being a Local VSO is not the best paying job, but the work he does to help vets get what is rightfully theirs, is a great reward tot he job. every vet that is service connected put's money in his jar each time we see him. He gives that money to homeless vets and vets for bus far and helps them buy necessities like toothbrushes soap with it. i am proud and greatful for what he does. There is an opening coming up in his office and has asked me if i would be interested int he position.

Now with that said, i will say that he was one of my troops for many years and we had a relationship prior to him becoming my VSO, however, I think he gives the same service to all that come thur his door.

That is my take on local county VSO's. they work for the veteran not the VA....

Matt

• Founder

i have had bad and great ones, my last one was from the dav, not much on the calling back, but right on the law and claim a win with him, and my current one is american legion, and if could clone my american legion one, we would be in good shape.

I agree that most organizations do near to nothing for the benefit for the veteran. I will say that I work with a local county VSO, that has been a huge help to me. not only has he given me mental and emotional support thru the process, he has also served my best interest. i do believe that the best advocate for you is yoruself.

he has told me that being a Local VSO is not the best paying job, but the work he does to help vets get what is rightfully theirs, is a great reward tot he job. every vet that is service connected put's money in his jar each time we see him. He gives that money to homeless vets and vets for bus far and helps them buy necessities like toothbrushes soap with it. i am proud and greatful for what he does. There is an opening coming up in his office and has asked me if i would be interested int he position.

Now with that said, i will say that he was one of my troops for many years and we had a relationship prior to him becoming my VSO, however, I think he gives the same service to all that come thur his door.

That is my take on local county VSO's. they work for the veteran not the VA....

Matt

Cpt. Matt:

That is interesting in that I just posted that I had met a VSO and I did state his good intentions. I am not arrogant enough to think I know the intentions of all VSO's at all levels. I can only speak to my experiences in NC, as opposed to Panama City Florida, Bay County years ago who truly cared and won a C&P claim for me I didn't even know I had coming, much less how to go about doing. I had just learned there was a VA from an old timer a few years before while working for Defense Contracting (now look who is calling who old timer). They just had me sign some forms, I went to some exams, and done. But this recent experience, and I am almost certain, on the VSO side, they are overwhelmed with claims, but that doesn't change the fact that I have found one out of many that would not run from the thought of taking on another claim. All other organizations (in my experience) that once they hear power of attorney has gone to another organization, game over. The county rep here has a very negative reputation and that would not repond unless you went to the county commissioners. Only my experience. Certainly not meant to be derogatory to people who care and do their best. They know who they are and as you have shown you know one when you see one.

No broad brush here. Though example: the VAMC rep said the VSO VARO office had a list that would be of assistance. He gave me the number. I called, the answer was nope, don't have one of those, click. No inquiries. Just responded as though the phone was lava.

I am glad you have had that positive experience! I have not been so fortunate. By my writing I would hope you can discern I am not unreasonable, but I am not their dog, and not stupid. I know when you inquire and they hand it back to you without a single thought. I worked at the Corp Safety Office and attended /conducted safety briefings at the staff meetings. So I am well versed on the dodges an games played, well playing is not what they were doing for sure, but I know when they are blowing me off and couldn't care less. They are not speaking above my head so I am not misinterpreting their intentions or meanings.

So much for that and sir your point is well taken.

Point and counter point. The good, the bad, and the ugly. County Veterans Service Officers, Service Organizations VSO's, yada, yada, and more yada. There are good dedicated service officers in all of the above. The "problem" is finding a good dedicated one to stick with you for the entire claim. However, the worthless lazy CVSO's and VSO's are far more plentiful, which is a fault of the organization they are employed by. Lack of leadership in the organization, (sound familiar??). Attorney's are a great resource/recourse if needed---but some of them are good, bad, and ugly with the representation they provide. Also, some attorney's are great. **What this all boils down to:

1. The chances of finding a good service officer are very slim, sometimes impossible.

2. As someone prior mentioned. Purchase a copy of NVLSP's "VETERANS BENEFITS MANUAL". I'm not sure when the new edition 2009 comes out, but some one on Hadit will, I'm sure. When you get a copy, read-read-read. Keep in touch on Hadit as there are some great people here waiting/wanting to help. You may then choose to go it alone with some help from above.

3. When denied and all else fails, you are still confused, just get an attorney. Attorney or not, keep reading Hadit posts and hopefully your new copy of the VETERANS BENEFITS MANUAL. In closing, be careful of any time limits mentioned on any VA correspondence you receive.

• HadIt.com Elder

It is said that you have a hard time chaning SO's well that depends I started in 2002 with an American Legion Rep, by Dec 2003 I learned that he had lied to me and the people here told me what to do and I did it, I filed my own claim in Dec 2003, with my wife's help I am 100% SC back to dec 2003, and if I do what you all tell me now about informal claims I CAN win back to Nov 2002 when I first wrote Principi, but I ran into a DAV SO in Sep 2004, he was interested in my claim as a Edgewood test veteran, and he took my POA, and he was a good rep, but his replacement was useless, he wanted me to drop my heart claim and start over asking for a 10% hypertension claim with a 2007 date NO WAY, then I went to PVA, that SO was useless, he flat told me that I would never get my cardiac problems SC as secondary to my PTSD, well you all know how that turned out, I had to get a lawyer in 2007 but in April 2009 I won the claim at BVA......I think you need a SO to facilitate paperwork but not always it doesn;t hurt to have 2 minds on your problem but as a rule SOs are useless, they do NOT return calls, and meet with you an hour before DRO hearings or BVA heairngs and nithing in between, they are to BUSY and I don't know why veterans think they have to join a vet group to get them to represent you you DON'T have to, I had a DAV rep tell me after I won my 100% for PTSD that I should join the DAV, I asked him why they hadn't done anything for me, my letetrs to Bush got me 50% and my letter to Cheney got me the 100% why should I give 4 or 5 hundred for a life membership to the DAV they didn't write the letters, and spent to much effort trying to get me to drop the cardiac claim back to 2002 fluck em fluck em all