VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vso Topic/forum

Rate this question

cannoncocker

Question

It would have been very helpful to me and I suspect many others to have a resource based on members experiences and recommendations on which to base their selection of a Veterans Service Organization specifically rating the members assistance received on their claim from the organization.

Not a place to flame any particular organization but to give specific examples and facts both good and bad. I have found that once you have chosen a VSO and signed the power of attorney it is difficult if not impossible to change organizations.

I could have saved myself much grief had I known from the beginning what to expect and the experiences of others, in particular in specific geographic areas since service would vary from VARO VSO Office or even local chapters.

That would have saved me much time and money had I known then what I know now. I hate for that knowledge to go to waste. I am sure many members have much to contribute in this area.

Just a suggestion

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Wow. I'm glad this was posted. I was a little unsure of reopening my claim on my own, but now I'm glad I did. I have found everything I needed (and lots more) on Hadit, or links to what I needed. Thanks to all posters on here! David

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a VSO from one of the NSO tell me when I got home that he had been in combat for four years in WWII, and that RVN vets were cry babies. I would like to know how any soldier could survive combat for four years. The average time infantry served in combat in WWII was about 90 days before being KIA'ed or WIA'ed. If you lasted 6 months you were an old timer.

• HadIt.com Elder

John they counted the time they were away from home as "combat" most of them don't even know if they ever shot anyone let alone killed them some of them never fired their rifles, one of my parents friends was a Bataan death March survivor his experience in Japan was far worse than most soldiers endured during WW2, then their was the Army Air Coro they sustained heavy losses from flak and being shot down on bombing runs over Germany my step father who was in the same unit as the Memphis belle, tried to watch that movie when it came out, he liked the crew members and said the pilot was a prima donna, he could not watch that movie due to his PTSD the first scene of flak took him back to WW2, no veteran spent their entire 4 years in combat one of the longest "battles" was the Battle of the Bulge and it was what 100 days? and the greatest line of the war came out of that engagement "Nuts" I actually think the Korean war was worse than WW2 for marines and Army Infantry troops that war was actual shooting for the entire time over 2 years... most of them are beyond serving as SOs now thank god, I remember when Vietnam vets hated going anywhere near the VA, wasn't that the reason they created Veteran Centers?

Edited by Testvet

I had a VSO from one of the NSO tell me when I got home that he had been in combat for four years in WWII, and that RVN vets were cry babies. I would like to know how any soldier could survive combat for four years. The average time infantry served in combat in WWII was about 90 days before being KIA'ed or WIA'ed. If you lasted 6 months you were an old timer.

RVN crybabies? OMG. "he had been in combat for four years in WWII" I am sorry but that is not mentally or physically possible. Like they haven't studued that little item to death! I do know my father was a tanker in WWII and his brother came back with bad shell shock but from the horses mouth he said he would take Germany and Patton in a tank over a jungle trail on foot. I've known folks in the Korean War but not in depth but that 4 years in combat is not possible. What you may define that as is up to the individual. BS is what I call it.

On another subject I meet this young woman/kid at the VA today and she was totally lost on how to begin her VA journey. Fortunately I had run across hadit so was able to lead her to the water. I wish somebody had done that for me. But Like I said before an oldtimer wised me up that the VA and C&P's even existed. So the circle is complete. Now she has her oldtimer story. No, I'm not that old but to her I'm ancient. I also told her that others have had varying experiences with the NVSO's. She just had to find here own niche and it would not be easy and further nobody cared about her problems as much as she did. That seemed to ring true to her. So that would probably lead her here. I hope.

I'm at the yada yada point now. Different strokes and different scenatios for each of us but one thing does remain constant: Do it yourself and you will be assurred all that can be done is being done.

Thank you whoever posted the VSO meeting with you one hour before the DRO hearing. In my case they would probably chose to set aside more time, what with the water boarding and all. In all seriousness I really don't think the DAV would show at all.

Give them money! You have got to be kidding!

Off topic: could somebody give me any general idea what a local IMO from an Osteo/Neurologist/Chiropractor would cost (any). Any ball park figure: I have SMR's/MRI's 2006 and 2008/MRI radiology evaluations/Neurology consult for December 2008.

Does need to be precise, just a educated guess for lumbar injury. I just want to know what I am jumping into, since my billfold isn't quite as deep as the US Treasury.

Thanks everybody. I just wish everybody had a good experience with VSO's but the reality on the ground does not reflect that.

The new 2009 VBM is coming out on September 15th, 2009.

YIPPEE!

If I had depended on the DAV (1994 -1997) and NYS Division of Vets Affairs since and until they gratiously dumped me last yeare (thank God) I would still be in the

Crapper!

The VBM from NVLSP helped me to succeed in all of my claims and it is always open on my PC desk when I am here at hadit too.

I think I know Nehmer Court Order (Afor AO vets and widows )like the back of my hand but the VA has caused me to even question what I know so I always check the VBM for Nehmer issues.

Actually, I better go back and make sure I got the latest and greatest (The new 2009 VBM is coming out on September 15th, 2009) now that you mention it since to me it is costly. Necessary but costly.