VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi After Retiring @62yo

Rate this question

Philip Rogers

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Thought I'd mention this. A friend, in my PTSD group, who took his reduced SS retirement, at 62yo, was recently awarded SSDI, thereby raising his SS, to the full rate he would have gotten had he retired at 65yo. He'd received his VA 100% just prior. I didn't know this was possible.

pr

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Phillip, I don't think that is the case. Now, what could have happened is if his claim was a long drawn out affair. You don't lose your the credits for the years you were unable to work, while waiting for the claim to be decided. My ssd started when the claim was awarded and will remain the same till I retire at 66, except for Cola increases, if we ever get any more increases. If they awarded me what I would have earned, if I worked to 66, it would be another thousand or so a month. But , maybe there was an exception to your friend, if thats the case, I don't know what that would be.

t&b

When you reach full retirement age

If you are receiving Social Security disability benefits, your disability benefits automatically convert to retirement benefits, but the amount remains the same.

If you also receive a reduced widow(er)’s benefit, be sure to contact Social Security when you reach full retirement age so that we can make any necessary adjustment in your benefits

• HadIt.com Elder
Phillip, I don't think that is the case. Now, what could have happened is if his claim was a long drawn out affair. You don't lose your the credits for the years you were unable to work, while waiting for the claim to be decided. My ssd started when the claim was awarded and will remain the same till I retire at 66, except for Cola increases, if we ever get any more increases. If they awarded me what I would have earned, if I worked to 66, it would be another thousand or so a month. But , maybe there was an exception to your friend, if thats the case, I don't know what that would be.

t&b

If you are receiving Social Security disability benefits, your disability benefits automatically convert to retirement benefits, but the amount remains the same.

If you also receive a reduced widow(er)’s benefit, be sure to contact Social Security when you reach full retirement age so that we can make any necessary adjustment in your benefits

PR and Tagandbag,

This is a good thread and really good info for new guys like me. I don't fully understand the SSDI thing, however I was under the impression that If you became eligable for SSDI (before 62) that you would draw the same amount that you would draw at 66. As an example the social security calculator shows that I would draw $1492 if I retire at 62, but that I would draw $1978 if I wait until 66. Am I wrong in my thinking that if I am approved for SSDI this year (I'm 61) that I will draw approximately $2K?

Thanks guys--you both put out some really good info :D

Cav

• HadIt.com Elder

t&b, okay, but I think you misread my post. As I understand it you didn't retire, you got SSDI. I have the same. I got mine in '99 and get the full rate, I would've received at 65yo, w/those same work credits. He only took his retirement within the past year. He applied for his SSDI a few months back. I didn't think he could get it but he did. That raised him from his reduced rate to the full rate he'd have gotten at 65yo.

pr

t&b

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder

Cavtrooper088, you should receive the full $1978. That's the advantage of getting SSDI over early retirement.

pr

PR and Tagandbag,

This is a good thread and really good info for new guys like me. I don't fully understand the SSDI thing, however I was under the impression that If you became eligable for SSDI (before 62) that you would draw the same amount that you would draw at 66. As an example the social security calculator shows that I would draw $1492 if I retire at 62, but that I would draw $1978 if I wait until 66. Am I wrong in my thinking that if I am approved for SSDI this year (I'm 61) that I will draw approximately $2K?

Thanks guys--you both put out some really good info :D

Cav

• HadIt.com Elder

Cav, from what I have read @ the ss website. It works like this: You apply for ssdi and you are , lets say 60 yo. and SS awards your claim after 1 year. They wont penalize you for that year of waiting and not working, while your claim is being decided. Once your claim has been awarded, that will be the date of how they determine the amount you recieve, the same as retiring. If your on SSD and when you reach retirement, your SSD turns into retirement benefits at the same rate. If there is another anle to this, I am not aware of it.

Phillip, I not trying to disagree with you. I'm going to go and check my ss statements, along with my awrd letter. Maybe, I have brain freeze or something. It isnt about who is wrong or right. If your friend recieved that. well thats great. I just don't understand it. I'll get back and post on this when I look at my info.