VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Computer Maintenance

Cavtrooper088

Hi Gang,

I saw where LarryJ, Bonzai and Jbasser were talking about using compressed air (can) to clean their computers. I know about using it on the keyboard. Do y'all use it on other parts of the computer?

My old computer was so messed up that I thought about hydro blasting it to clean out the cobwebs before it finally died a gruesome death.--Now you're starting to get an idea of my level of expertise when it comes to dealing with computers. The new computer, which I bought after getting sound advice from my Hadit friends, is a dream, and I've hoping to keep it running that way. Any recommendations?

My biggest problem with the cans of compressed air is that I use them up squirting K-9 SGT Bubbles as she faithfully follows the Commandant (she who must be obey) from room to room. What a suck up. (Bubbles that is)

Remember you're talking with a Cav guy so use short words and no complex concepts :D Thanks guys.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavtrooper088,

I used to pop the side off my tower, after the warranty ended, and clean it out with with compressed air,after doing the keyboard, works great. I have two laptops now, one is still under warranty, so except for the keyboard, I leave it alone, for now.

I go crazy in the Fall cleaning out my infra-red heaters, big screen TV, and anything else that doesn't run away! Kinda like I do with W-D 40, and duck tape, and bailing wire... :lol:

BoonDoc

Hi Gang,

I saw where LarryJ, Bonzai and Jbasser were talking about using compressed air (can) to clean their computers. I know about using it on the keyboard. Do y'all use it on other parts of the computer?

My old computer was so messed up that I thought about hydro blasting it to clean out the cobwebs before it finally died a gruesome death.--Now you're starting to get an idea of my level of expertise when it comes to dealing with computers. The new computer, which I bought after getting sound advice from my Hadit friends, is a dream, and I've hoping to keep it running that way. Any recommendations?

My biggest problem with the cans of compressed air is that I use them up squirting K-9 SGT Bubbles as she faithfully follows the Commandant (she who must be obey) from room to room. What a suck up. (Bubbles that is)

Remember you're talking with a Cav guy so use short words and no complex concepts :D Thanks guys.

Edited by BoonDoc

• HadIt.com Elder

The biggest issue is to keep the dust down inside the PC. Especially the fan. You can use a air comressor but set it on lower PSI.

It also pays to have a good program like Tune up utilities 08 to keep the computer clean and free of junk crap.

Stay away from the 09 edition.

J

I have found that an easy way to eliminate a lot of dust in the tower is to take a piece of old fashioned lofty quilt batting, split it in half, and afix it over the air intake vents on my tower. Tape, although unsightly will work; I was able to just barely tuck the top edge of the batting into the gap at the top of the fan cover on the side of my tower. It acts as a filter very well...my tower is on the floor under a table, and my cats are walking around them every day. I also vacuum inside when the tower is off and completely unplugged, using the brush attachment or the crevice tool on the vacuum hose.

hope this helps,

akwidow

OK, why do we clean the computer of dust build-up? Because the two biggest dangers to computer hardware are moisture and heat. So what does dust have to do with it? The dust will act as a blanket and heat up the components, which ages them faster; hence a quicker death than normal. Setting a humidifier near your computer works well at aging the computer too.

If you want to keep your computer young and spry, then keep it away from heat and moisture sources. I have found that instead of buying can after can of compressed air, a small shop vac with vacuum and blowing capabilities is a good investment. You can either vacuum or use the blower, depending on how your feeling that day.

Hope this helps!

Louis

P.S. It's not as portable as compressed air, so you might have a problem chasing SGT Bubbles. :D