VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Venting About My Claim!

Rate this question

Fletch

Question

I applied for IVDS back in Feb 09. I keep getting letters that say we are working on your claim. *sigh* I'm rated 50% now for other issues that include a sacroiliac joint in my hip that's listed as sacroiliac dysfunction. My neuro-surgeon wrote in my records that my sacroiliac issue was what caused the last 2 disc's in my back to slip. I've had 3 surgeries so far this year. I was just told that I need another to fuse the last 2 vertebra in my spine. I've now developed blood clots and need an IVC filter put in. The blood clots were from my spine surgery. Nobody in my family has a spine issue or blood clots. I'm not going to try to claim blood clots or the next surgery yet. I need the VA to rate and approve my IVDS so I can get the 100% temporary convalescence. I've been out of work for 4 and a half months so far this year. I really need to just try and get IU. I can't sit up right for very long or stand for very long because of the pain. It's hard to explain. You guys with back issues know what I'm talking about. I've been going through bouts of depression and even got a pre-auth from my insurance to see a psyche-doc. I haven't done it because I have enough doctor appointments every week as it is.

I'm crying as I write this because it's so disheartening dealing with this every day. I haven't even got a letter asking me to go to a C&P exam. I don't know what good that will do anyway. I'm in a full back brace 24/7. I haven't added anything else to my claim because I really need them to finish and make their decision on the current back claim before I go on.

My neuro-surgeon asked me what I was rated at. I told him 50% and he scoffed,"thats it?" I said yes and that I had a claim in for an increase. He feels as if I should be 100% at least. He's going to give me a handicapped placard since I can't get one from the VA because i'm not 100%.

Anyway,,sorry to vent here, but I felt I needed to share this story for my piece of mind. You guys provide great information for every vet. Thanks for being here!

Love you guys/gals!

Fletch

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I applied for IVDS back in Feb 09. I keep getting letters that say we are working on your claim. *sigh* I'm rated 50% now for other issues that include a sacroiliac joint in my hip that's listed as sacroiliac dysfunction. My neuro-surgeon wrote in my records that my sacroiliac issue was what caused the last 2 disc's in my back to slip. I've had 3 surgeries so far this year. I was just told that I need another to fuse the last 2 vertebra in my spine. I've now developed blood clots and need an IVC filter put in. The blood clots were from my spine surgery. Nobody in my family has a spine issue or blood clots. I'm not going to try to claim blood clots or the next surgery yet. I need the VA to rate and approve my IVDS so I can get the 100% temporary convalescence. I've been out of work for 4 and a half months so far this year. I really need to just try and get IU. I can't sit up right for very long or stand for very long because of the pain. It's hard to explain. You guys with back issues know what I'm talking about. I've been going through bouts of depression and even got a pre-auth from my insurance to see a psyche-doc. I haven't done it because I have enough doctor appointments every week as it is.

I'm crying as I write this because it's so disheartening dealing with this every day. I haven't even got a letter asking me to go to a C&P exam. I don't know what good that will do anyway. I'm in a full back brace 24/7. I haven't added anything else to my claim because I really need them to finish and make their decision on the current back claim before I go on.

My neuro-surgeon asked me what I was rated at. I told him 50% and he scoffed,"thats it?" I said yes and that I had a claim in for an increase. He feels as if I should be 100% at least. He's going to give me a handicapped placard since I can't get one from the VA because i'm not 100%.

Anyway,,sorry to vent here, but I felt I needed to share this story for my piece of mind. You guys provide great information for every vet. Thanks for being here!

Love you guys/gals!

Fletch

I wish there was a way to cut through the nonesense when someone is obviously in such mental and physical pain like this. I know the back pain you experience can be so transfixing. For crying out loud moving is out of the question. Please just endure and concentrate on the finish line. I know good things are coming your way. All things change and the victory will be all the better.

You are in my prayers.

• HadIt.com Elder

you don't need to be rated at 100% to get a disabled placard that has nothing to do with it, I wasn't even rated at 10% when the VA doc signed off on a disabled placard for me in Oct 2002

I got it for severe cardiac problems and a bad back L3-S1 are shot and the VA refuses to do any surgery on me due to the heart condition, they give me percocets every month, my ex brother in law is 100% for back problems, he had the hardware put in, and the pain is still unbearable for him SSD and the VA gave him disability about 5 years ago

I had a surgery on L5 about 1993 it lasted until 2000 when I threw my back out again yes back pain is a cause of depression you should see someone you can always claim MDD Major Depressive disorder secondary to your SC back problems

I wish I could tell you something different, but back problems usually don't get better, they just get worse....see the docs and get the disgnosis you need to get all your problems SC

Edited by Testvet

• HadIt.com Elder

Hang in there Fletch and yes you can get a placard without being 100%

In the past the VA has made a lot of decisions in Oct anf Nov when they get new money

Thanks for your replies guys. It does help. I'm getting the placard from my civilian doc. I refuse to let the VA open me up. I will apply for IU once I get my rating for my spine. The issue with the placard was with the state of Nevada. I mis-spoke. I cant get disabled veteran plates without a 100% rating. I'm doing everything myself. No VSO or attorney. Hopefully everything goes well and I wont have to hire a lawyer.

I'll keep everyone informed about this uphill battle.

Thanks for the prayers.

Fletch

• HadIt.com Elder
Thanks for your replies guys. It does help. I'm getting the placard from my civilian doc. I refuse to let the VA open me up. I will apply for IU once I get my rating for my spine. The issue with the placard was with the state of Nevada. I mis-spoke. I cant get disabled veteran plates without a 100% rating. I'm doing everything myself. No VSO or attorney. Hopefully everything goes well and I wont have to hire a lawyer.

I'll keep everyone informed about this uphill battle.

Thanks for the prayers.

Fletch

Don't worry about the placard or DV-tag misunderstanding, Fletch... What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas....

Good Luck...

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

No body voted me medical expert of the year but your condition seems rather advanced but "I refuse to let the VA open me up" was my choice too. they claim like 85% sccuss rate but I suspect that is a bit optimistic. It actually just seems to invariably makes things worse.

I'm sure you have seen the postings around here regarding VSO's and the concensus is not very positive. Your lack of mobility is a factor though. If you have a signifcant other to help, that would be great. The knowledge is all here for the asking. I can assure you they don't take every Friday off and will answer your call.

Image your goals and you will get there if you continue. Given your condition our society has to have something for you!

Best wishes and the prayers are there for you.