VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

In Need Of Some Advice

Guest Vietnam Tanker

Guest Vietnam Tanker

I purchased a used computer as mine is dead. My question has to do with the set up of the hard drive. Whoever set it up after erasing the drive set the drive as follows. C:/ drive is 9.99GB, D:/ drive is 138GB. well 9.99 is just barely enough space for the OS, it will not allow me to download security updates and install them. I want to reformat the drive but vista will not allow me to format the drive with the OS on it. I know there is a way to do this and then repartition the drive and reinstall the Vista operating systm, but I am having a brain Fart and cannot accomplish this mission so I am asking the Geeks here to help me out if they can.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Vietnam Tanker,

John V

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• In Memoriam

If you have the OS system, that is Vista or XP Disc, you can swap the drives. First pull the current C: drive. Change the dip switches on the new C: drive to reflect the the new C: drive is Master drive. The should be a legend on the drive as to how to set the dips for Master or Slave.

Put your OS system disc in the CD drive. Reboot...Go the CMOS...Select CD Rom as the 1st boot device...

Boot the Comp with OS system in the CD rom drive. It will ask if you want to format the drive with NTFS. Select yes. NTFS is the file allocation table system to format the drive.

After the drive is formated select setup on the CD rom. Go through the Setup process.

Put your old C: in as you second drive..You will need a new cable that we hope came with your drive.

Plug in the new cable...Select Slave on the dip switch setting on you old C:.

Before you format the old C: drive, get any information files and save them to the new C:

Plug in the drive. Start your OS system..Go to run...Reformat C:...

There is more than one way to do this...This is the one I use...It takes me quite a while because I have to remember all the steps...

Sometimes I use Fdisk to repartition the drive and change the drive letter..

Guest Vietnam Tanker

Stretch, Thanks for the comeback, The computer uses SATA drives and SATA does not require the use of Dip switches, there is only one HDD in the computer and it is set up in two partitions.

• In Memoriam

SATA cable are red with black plugs on the end. If you look at the mother board the plug-ins on the board are numbered SATA1 and SATA2 etc.

Plug your new drive into SATA1 and set it up with the other instructions. The print next to the Mother Board SATA plugs is kind of small sometimes so you may need a flash light and magnifying glass.

You can get SATA cables at Radio Shack if you don't have one with the drive. RS sells the SATA cables for I think 9 dollars for 2 cables.

I really like the SATA cables, because they take up less room and promote air flow for cooling.