VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical Treatment

Rate this question

kw34

Question

I was just thinking for my SC illness I see a non VA doctors. I have a PCP who treats me for several other issue that I hope will be SC'ed soon but not for my current SC condition. I use my own insurance can I be reimbursed? I have searched the site but nothing quite fits my situation. I guess I have to request to be seen by the VA for my SC'ed illness.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The only way the VA would pay would be if it was emergency treatment for a SC disability and you had to go to the nearest hospital.

Once you reach 50 percent then I believe it is any serious emergency where you have to be taken to the nearest hospital.

Anyway in either circumstance the VA must be informed within a reasonable amount of time.

J

Without prior authorization for emergencies related to your SC disabilities, or a fee basis card I don't see it happening.

Have you requested a fee basis card for your SC disabilities yet?

BoonDoc

No Boon I have not, everytime I am at the Durham VA there is no one to take the pictures. I guess if i dont ask to be seen by an oncologist at theVA the VA will not offer.

• HadIt.com Elder

The real killer is that you have your own insurance. The wording is to the effect that the VA will pay if no one else will, and not pay anything if someone other than the veteran does pay.

a

"I use my own insurance can I be reimbursed?"

I was just thinking for my SC illness I see a non VA doctors. I have a PCP who treats me for several other issue that I hope will be SC'ed soon but not for my current SC condition. I use my own insurance can I be reimbursed? I have searched the site but nothing quite fits my situation. I guess I have to request to be seen by the VA for my SC'ed illness.

• HadIt.com Elder

Of course not! It's just another way to avoid (evade) giving a veteran benefits due. All the "little" things, such as the person tht takes care of mileage claims & payments to veterans "isn't here".

No Boon I have not, everytime I am at the Durham VA there is no one to take the pictures. I guess if i dont ask to be seen by an oncologist at theVA the VA will not offer.

If you request, and meet the 'means' test you can sign a waiver and get the full amount of travel pay.

I went for years not knowing this, now I get the full amount. You have to ask every time you go to get travel pay.It is a huge difference for me.

BoonDoc

Of course not! It's just another way to avoid (evade) giving a veteran benefits due. All the "little" things, such as the person tht takes care of mileage claims & payments to veterans "isn't here".