VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hysterectomy

Rate this question

Breakthechain

Question

Hello everyone,

I was just informed by my current doctor that I need to have a hysterectomy. I'm scheduled for surgery on Oct 6. I'm a little worried becasue I just started my current job about 11 months ago and I was told I will need to be out for about 2-8 weeks for recovery. My Supervisor stated my position is secure ( I pray she's telling the truth), but I will be on leave without pay for the duration of my recovery. I don't have enough sick or annual leave to cover the time off (used most of my leave for doctors appt and VA appts).

I'm currently rated at 80%. I still have a claim out for bilateral feet problems (the Rater didn't address the issue during the processing of my original claim, so the opened a new claim for my feet. I also asked for an increase on other issues, so my original claim was reopened).

Is there anything I can do to help cover my lost of wages during my recovery time? Can I be service Connected for the hysterectomy? I faxed my regional office the information I had from my current provider and a radiology and doctor's report from 2003 showing I had an enlarged uterus.

Your help will be greatly appreciated,

Lisa

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I assume you are a federal employee with the verbage you are using.

It is imparative all folks have some sort of Short or long term disibility policy as well as Credit card insurance. (to cover cc bill sin the event of a temporary disability)

it costs a little to do this but it is worth it because of times like this.

As a federal employee are you in a career or career conditional status?

Your Job is safe.

Does your facility offer a leave donor program. This may help some and In some cases I have seen it hold someone over.

Good Luck.

J

Edited by jbasser

I assume you are a federal employee with the verbage you are using.

It is imparative all folks have some sort of Short or long term disibility policy as well as Credit card insurance. (to cover cc bill sin the event of a temporary disability)

it costs a little to do this but it is worth it because of times like this.

As a federal employee are you in a career or career conditional status?

Your Job is safe.

Does your facility offer a leave donor program. This may help some and In some cases I have seen it hold someone over.

Good Luck.

J

J,

I'm a State of GA employee. The policy states I have to be employed for over twelve months in order to take medical leave. My supervisor stated my position is safe (one reason is because it take the State about 6 months to fill a critical position). I emailed Iris and they sent a response stating I could apply for Increased Compensation Based on Unemployability for the duration that I'm out for recovery. Do you know if that's correct?

Lisa

• HadIt.com Elder

If the condition is service connected you can apply for increased comp and Temp 100 percent convalesent.

Even if the claim is filed the time frame to wait will be way too long. But you must take care of number 1. Yourself. You have to do what you have to do. Dont put it off if it is very serious. Donk risk it.

Hang in there.

J

If the condition is service connected you can apply for increased comp and Temp 100 percent convalesent.

Even if the claim is filed the time frame to wait will be way too long. But you must take care of number 1. Yourself. You have to do what you have to do. Dont put it off if it is very serious. Donk risk it.

Hang in there.

J

I just filed the claim for SC on 29 Aug. Yes, its serious! That is the reason I'm risking my career. I know my position here at Public Health can be refilled. I just completed the form and will fax it tomorrow once I have all the documentation I need to send with it.

Lisa