VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claims Submitted, C&p Exams Completed

Rate this question

pigdriver

Question

Hi Fellow veterans,

I have a question. I filed claim for Tinnitus and hearing loss in 12/08 and PTSD in 02/09, I am currently being medicated for the PTSD, attending therapy and have had the Tinnitus and hearing C&P exam on 06/01/09 and the PTSD C&P on 06/17/09. I have an 86 year old Aunt that lives in Greensboro, NC who is the last surviving member of my mother's family, she is not well and is requesting that my wife and I move to Greensboro and live with her to care for her until she passes. My question is if I agree and move to Greensboro will that have any effect on my compensation claims, the timeline etc. and if so how so. Plus I am scheduled to begin outpatient CPT therapy this month on the 14th which lasts 6 weeks. Should I attend this CPT 6 week session here in Michigan where I live or postpone it until I move to Greensboro should I decide to do so. Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions and opinions.

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am in Greensboro and maybe we can have coffee or tea when you get her. Now to your question. You do not have to change ROs because you move. Send in a change of address and notify them that you want you claim completed there. You can have your exam in NC and still have your claim rated in Michigan. The will send you file to the Winston Salem clinic for the exam. Hope you have a good and safe trip.

• HadIt.com Elder

Been there, done that, got the reduction letter to prove it. You are just asking for trouble if you don't give them a complete change of address, drop the current claim and start all over at the new RO. Yes, you can leave the claim alone and it will follow you wherever you go, so long as you tell them. In about 2 years you will be called in for a C&P at the new VAMC, and then you will have several months wait for a answer to the claim after that.

These folks get confused easily. I lived in Austin, TX using the Waco VARO. I filed a claim for increase, and had my C&Ps. Then we moved back to TN. I gave the VARO my forwarding address, and did a change of address card with the post office. About a year and a half I was contacted by the VAMC in TN and asked to report for another C&P. I asked what took so long and they had been trying to contact me from Waco. A call I placed to the 800# sparked the action that finally got my C-file moved to TN.

Long story short, if I had dropped the claim, gave them my new address, called to verify that my C-file had been moved, then refiled the claim at my new domicile I could have saved myself many months of aggrivation. People can quote regs (and I am a true believer in regs in most instances) and they can tell you what is supposed to happen, but I have lived it and I can tell you exactly what happened.

Good luck

Hi everyone and thanks for all the good info. What I am reading is: 1. Even though I've had both C&P's for both claims I still my have another? 2. I can leave my claims with the Michigan RO and just give them a change of address? 3. Can I put in a temporary change of address with the Postal Service so I get any mail from VA forwarded without notifing the VA of a "permanent " change of address, something like I'm going to stay with my Aunt in Greensboro for the winter as I can't tolerate the cold any longer? Definately do not want to drop the claims and start all over again, I may not live enough to see any results. Maybe taking Sharon's and PR's advise is the best option. Please keep the advise and opinions coming. Again thanks to all for the advice and information. God Bless the USA !!!!

We are in the middle of the same thing, moved from Michigan to Alabama about 5 mths ago, we do have a lawyer handling our case, Michigan is slow and awful, we have requested 3 times to move the case the lawyer has 2 times, finally got a copy of medical records, and filed some new cases

at the Montgomery VA so they could request the c-file and all other records themselves from MI

We have been working on this for 2 years plus, so far received 10% denied all else and missed

much more we were suppose to file for according to the lawyer, She told us to do what ever

we could to get my husbands file away from detroit, they are SSSSSSLLLLOOOOWWWWW

and things will move faster for us even with the wait of transfer if we just get his stuff out

of the hands of the Detroit office, thats our story , hope it helps you some

• In Memoriam

I moved from CA. (California) to Arkansas in 2004. I used my sisters CA. address, for about a year, and my sister would forward my VA mail to Arkansas. I had the DAV as a VSO during this time. It was impossible to communicate with the DAV as they would not call back long distance. I had to fly back to CA., several times for Imo's etc.

I got so fed up with the problem that I resended my POA (Power of Attorney) from the DAV, and then I had my claims transfered to Arkansas. I figure I lost a year in the process.

I would say there are a few factors for you to consider:

• Are you going to move back to where you are living now, later on?
  • How far are you in your claims process? That is, are you close to going to the BVA, are you in remand, or at the AMC, or are you just at the start of the claims process.
  • Are you a gulf war Vet, Afghanistan vet, Iraq Vet, or a Vietnam Vet? These seem to be treated differently and new Vets seem to have priority. Some of these newer Vets get their claims through in 6 months.
  • Do you have a VSO (Veterans Service Organization), such as DAV, American Legion, VVA, or VFW.

These are a few things to consider in your decision.