VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Copd,hyperthyroidism, Gerd

Rate this question

billy2

Question

I received a call from the VSR or someone similar asking me if I would like to file a claim for COPD,GERD and Hyperthroidism. I have two claims pending and she was reviewing my medical files and saw these three items. I asked how does this relate to my service 40 years ago. I never thought that these things were caused by my service in the army. I don't want to waste the VBA's time and my time with frivolous claims. If there is a nexus, that is fine but if there isn't a nexus than forget it.

Bill

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I received a call from the VSR or someone similar asking me if I would like to file a claim for COPD,GERD and Hyperthroidism. I have two claims pending and she was reviewing my medical files and saw these three items. I asked how does this relate to my service 40 years ago. I never thought that these things were caused by my service in the army. I don't want to waste the VBA's time and my time with frivolous claims. If there is a nexus, that is fine but if there isn't a nexus than forget it.

Bill

I have been put in for issues that never occured to me as service connected but they were approved at the RO level, no appealing involved. So I don't see the down side to this. i will say this regarding hyper-hypothyroidism unless they detonated a nuclear device in close proximity to you it will be denied. Still no sweat off your brow. I worked as a tactical nuclear weapons chief for years, open box etc. but unless it was detonated /i can hear the wheels spining. I have zero info on the rest of your issues. You are very honorable and I respect you for that, not wanting to take something you are not sure you have coming. the people you are dealing with are not, IMHO. So my advise for the little it is worth, thank your rep for caring, since most don't, then say by all means apply.

Cannoncocker,

Thanks for your reply. When I had a C&P two weeks the lady was writing down all the thinks that were wrong with me and at 60 years old its a long list, old age. She said you have flat feet and vericose veins. I said okay. I really don't understand the whole claim process. I know about the Agent Orange and PTSD issues but what do these other health issues have to do with being in the service?

Bill

Cannoncocker,

Thanks for your reply. When I had a C&P two weeks the lady was writing down all the thinks that were wrong with me and at 60 years old its a long list, old age. She said you have flat feet and vericose veins. I said okay. I really don't understand the whole claim process. I know about the Agent Orange and PTSD issues but what do these other health issues have to do with being in the service?

Bill

Think of it this way, which I read here and took to heart: when you entered the service by the fact they accepted you, they acknowledged you were in prime physical and mental condition. They had you performing tasks the civilian world would not even consider, such as in field artillery they couldn't legally run one without breaking federal lifting equation guidlines, much less stand in front of people that were intent on doing you harm. So you see where I am going with this. I and many other vets are rightfully receiving benefits due to the actions you performed to defend our country. Your varicous veins for example could well have been aggravated by or originated by your service. Same goes for all very long list of other health issues that a good VSO will review your records and submit the items that appear to have been caused or worsened by your service, even if it took many years to present itself. Go with it. You would be very superised by how the system works and how they determine the illness nad the connection to your service.

I am a nobody on this forum and am only telling you what I personally have experienced and what I know to be true and fair. Mainly the VA will toss you a bone but withold the real debilitating issues.

Others on this board such as Bertha, John999, Pete....... are much better equppied to go into detail with you. They know the law! Ultimately the law and evidence is what matters but if a VSO says claim it then claim it.

I do not believe your age is such a major factor. give this some thought. I have among other things degenerative disc disease, herniated discs, and pinch S1 nerve. I was in FA for 6.5 years lifting 176 lbs over my head for years with in service med records. where do you think thos injuries came from and have just gotten worse over the years till now it is screaming. I am 54 years old, but that doesn't change the fact my service set my lumbar up for these problems.

Others will help you here since I know zero about copd, Agent Orange and PTSD. flat feet, or acquired flat feet since they would never accept you with flat feet could well have been caused or at least been the prime source for you developing acqired flat feet.

Others know more and will be glad to help you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Everyone on this Board is a somebody. I know people on this Board who started out barely knowing how to use the internet and now are considered experts. You don't become an expert overnight.

By the way I know how the VA works and I know a mistake when I see it but I am far from an expert and a lot of times I will give an opinion but I think that what I am good at is offering encouragement to Veterans who struggle. At least I hope that I am good at that.

Everyone on this Board is a somebody. I know people on this Board who started out barely knowing how to use the internet and now are considered experts. You don't become an expert overnight.

By the way I know how the VA works and I know a mistake when I see it but I am far from an expert and a lot of times I will give an opinion but I think that what I am good at is offering encouragement to Veterans who struggle. At least I hope that I am good at that.

Thank you Pete for making me feel welcome here! I say that I am a nobody here not just to be self-effacing but when you read some of the posts, and in particular members like Bertha, and God knows we need her here, and I'm sure she has won many case for members, and I do not want her to speak in the vernacular, but it is reminiscent of picking the mind of a research astro physicist while peaking on two hits of window pane. Point is I am not the one to be giving much advise when it comes to someones ability to provide food and shelter for themselves an their families. This is very serious stuff.

Encouragement is equally as important as the procedural law since if you don't follow through it is meaningless. It was just last week and I was ready to toss in the towel but I read on and saw the successes and found the motivation to continue so we need, I need, it all.

I try to restrict my comments to the things I have experience with. Not just shoot from the hip. This is far too important to interject my ego into. You guys provide a very valuable service and I want the person I am speaking to know I am not the final authority but will not lie to them either.

I think billy2 should follow his VSO's lead since I don't anymore about the case than I do. It may not make sense to him now but look at the down side. You have nothing to lose and the VSO is probably basing their recommendation on experience, law, and his records, I hope, and if the C&P examiner is claiming a nexus between his current condition and his service then that sounds like a winner to me.

If the C&P examiner says you have flat feet and for instance you have been employed at a desk for the majority of your working years, and depending on your service medical records, I don't think you are wasting anybodies time. That/This is exactly what the VA was established for. They are getting paid well for their efforts.

IMHO if you answered the call and were willing to do as you were told then this is the price of doing business. They know that. Some at the VA and VSO's think we are all dead beats. You gonna let what someone thinks about you stop you from receiving what they are legally required to provide?

You are not wasting anybodies time. Do it!

PS: you are good at that.

Edited by cannoncocker

Cannoncocker,

Thank you for your encouragement. I just find it a little strange that all these conditions were added to a claim that I feel have nothing to do with my service. I know it may not make sense to some people that I feel that way. I guess if you look at the total picture all these issues will help because I feel that I an unable to work anymore and applied for IU.

Bill