VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caution: Possible Triggers:

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I have a son who just got to Iraq about 3 weeks ago. I think he is way, way, way, to green to be in the war. He just joined the Army in October, and now he is in Iraq.

This is the email I got this morning:

"Yesterday, 2 September 2009, our brigade suffered two deaths as a result

of a non-hostile accident. This accident involved the battalion to

which your loved one is assigned. Each Soldier's Next of Kin has been

notified, and we expect public release of the Soldiers' names to follow

soon. We are actively planning a memorial service in coordination with

the forward command. As details are confirmed, we will provide you

additional information. I will also provide you a copy of the official

news release when it is released by the Department of Defense. Our

thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time."

If "next of kin" has been notified, then I guess that is not my son, as I have not been notified. Still, I am pretty stressed about this. I am not blaming the messenger.

I have both a son and a son in law in Iraq right now.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronco:

My prayers are with you and for the safe return of your son and your son in law. I sincerely hope that all the troops come home soon.

I have a son who just got to Iraq about 3 weeks ago. I think he is way, way, way, to green to be in the war. He just joined the Army in October, and now he is in Iraq.

If "next of kin" has been notified, then I guess that is not my son, as I have not been notified. Still, I am pretty stressed about this. I am not blaming the messenger.

POSSIBLE STRESSOR REPLY, ALSO:

bronco,

i'm thinking your son's unit has a "family" action plan (FAP) that, when someone is killed for whatever reason, maybe a lieutenant or such gets the commander to sign a pretty-much pre-prepared, fill-in-the-blank form letter (electronically, as in digital e-mail which can be subsequently forwarded to family members that troops designate for such an event) with as much information as possible, vague as it may be, until next-of-kin is notified and the ensueing public release is made. If this is the case, this is likely what you received via e-mal. I can imagine it is shocking to get one.

They probably include the family of affected unit personnel because --in this age of technolology with the "cnn" or "instant" war-- at least the service is trying to merge the gap and let the families know that something is going on with their loved ones' specific unit before they find out, somewhat harshly, through the media. The worry is still there but it is an attempt by the personnel and public affairs folks in the right direction, i think, to embrace the unit's extended family by including them in the informational loop.

God forbid if one of these arrives prior to the "humane" knock on the door or similar method of notification. in this age of technology, ... it possibly could in a terrible snafu. god bless whichever families it does turn out to be, and my prayers are with you, your son, your son-in-law, and all on watch today.

as an aside, my son was onboard during one of the recent years' submarine accidents and i found out surfing the news online. i called the contact for the sub's family support network and we kind of kept in touch informally until we found out what had happened. thankfully, there were no deaths resulting. if there had been, i don't know that the navy would have had just such a plan, but they may have. it was some time before we heard from our son but hearing his voice... well, it was precious.

My prayers are with your son, and your family!

My son, a CAV Scout, just finished His second tour in Iraq.

He came back half way through the first tour for 30 days, I don't know why the military does that. He was in combat one day, and on vacation the next...He was on high aleart and couldn't enjoy Himself at all.

I kept up with his brigade news page at first, then had to quit...it had me way to worried about Him, and all of the others, so I just emailed and answered the phone if He called.

G_D bless. your son, and all of our Military serving!

BoonDoc

Edited by BoonDoc

Many thanks to all of you who responded. My son called me today. He is ok, and eats in the same chow hall as the men who got killed.

He asked me to try to get him an ammo belt that holds an M203 shell.

I am very, very disturbed that he can not get the gear he needs for combat. He is in the infantry.

I am going to try to locate this ammo belt, it was not available here at the local military base.

Why is it that we have $24 million to pay in bonuses for VA employees who delay Vetrans claims, but dont have the money to make sure our troops are equipped with the gear they need?

I am livid that he is out there, in a combat situation, without the proper gear he needs. When it is your kid, its worse than when it was when I was in the military personally.