VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Schizophrenia Aggravated

Rate this question

ysraal

Question

I was sent to a panel of three mental health professionals to determine if my schizophrenia was aggravated during service and all three opinioned that I was. I am now diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder so will I be sc for schiz or sza?

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

We need more information to completely understand what it is you want answered. Are they saying that you had these problems prior to service, but that they were aggrivated by service and if aggrivated by service, was it more than what the normal progression of these problems would have been during the normal course of the disorders process?

If they are saying that you had these disorders prior to service, and that service aggrivated them. The amount of aggrivation must be more than it would be in the normal progression of these disorders in order to be found SC.

Also, as I understand it, a baseline of the symptoms must be determined, in order to determine how much it was aggrivated by being in the service and if it showed that the aggrivation was more than it would have normally been during the course of the developing disorder or disorders.

I also noted that you had a PD NOS. Do they say anything as to whether or not this was superimposed on one of the psychiatric disorders or visa versa?

Did you know that you had schizoaffective disorder prior to service and/or were you treated for psychiatric problems prior to service, and did you note these on your Induction Physical paper work? If not, how do they rationale that you had these problems prior to service?

You need to be willing to open up and give as much information as you can for those who have knowledge of these types of claims to answer your questions in a way that will be most helpfull to you on your claim.

Having a PD diagnosis in there is a big red flag for a rater to jump on to disallow your claim, even if you also have a cocomitant psychiatric disorder. They may try to ignore the others, saying that your PD is a developmental disorder and not service connectable.

This can be as far from the truth, since you also have these other dx's that can be SC or at the very least SC due to Aggrivation.

Having said all this, you may need some clarification by getting a IME/IMO from a private board certified Psychiatrist, expecially someone who specializes with those suffering from one of the number of schizophrenia disorders in the list posted earlier.

I just hope you are financially capable of getting this specialized opinion, or take it from someone who hasn't been able to, because of being on a limited and fixed income which barely pays the bills as it is.

Were are here to help if we can, but the more information you can give us, the better we can understand your situation and can either answer your questions or direct you to where you can get the information that will, or at least help you more, so that you can also help yourself and your claim.

Rockhound Rider :o

• HadIt.com Elder

Ysraal:

First let me welcome you to Hadit. How old were you when you went into the USMC.

You should not really have that much a problem obtaining service connection. Are you working?

It is very important that you are active in your treatment and compliant in taking your Meds. The same is true for many of us here on Hadit we have to take care of ourselves.

We need more information to completely understand what it is you want answered. Are they saying that you had these problems prior to service, but that they were aggrivated by service and if aggrivated by service, was it more than what the normal progression of these problems would have been during the normal course of the disorders process?

If they are saying that you had these disorders prior to service, and that service aggrivated them. The amount of aggrivation must be more than it would be in the normal progression of these disorders in order to be found SC.

Also, as I understand it, a baseline of the symptoms must be determined, in order to determine how much it was aggrivated by being in the service and if it showed that the aggrivation was more than it would have normally been during the course of the developing disorder or disorders.

I also noted that you had a PD NOS. Do they say anything as to whether or not this was superimposed on one of the psychiatric disorders or visa versa?

Did you know that you had schizoaffective disorder prior to service and/or were you treated for psychiatric problems prior to service, and did you note these on your Induction Physical paper work? If not, how do they rationale that you had these problems prior to service?

You need to be willing to open up and give as much information as you can for those who have knowledge of these types of claims to answer your questions in a way that will be most helpfull to you on your claim.

Having a PD diagnosis in there is a big red flag for a rater to jump on to disallow your claim, even if you also have a cocomitant psychiatric disorder. They may try to ignore the others, saying that your PD is a developmental disorder and not service connectable.

This can be as far from the truth, since you also have these other dx's that can be SC or at the very least SC due to Aggrivation.

Having said all this, you may need some clarification by getting a IME/IMO from a private board certified Psychiatrist, expecially someone who specializes with those suffering from one of the number of schizophrenia disorders in the list posted earlier.

I just hope you are financially capable of getting this specialized opinion, or take it from someone who hasn't been able to, because of being on a limited and fixed income which barely pays the bills as it is.

Were are here to help if we can, but the more information you can give us, the better we can understand your situation and can either answer your questions or direct you to where you can get the information that will, or at least help you more, so that you can also help yourself and your claim.

Rockhound Rider :o

Actual words from the three panel, I had psychiatric symptoms that were adressed and more emerged during service while I was in correctional custody. There is a list attached and no I did not have schizoaffective disorder preservice. Preservice I was dx paranoid schizophrenic reaction at 15. Also it does state that I was aggravated beyond the natural course of the disease.

Ysraal:

First let me welcome you to Hadit. How old were you when you went into the USMC.

You should not really have that much a problem obtaining service connection. Are you working?

It is very important that you are active in your treatment and compliant in taking your Meds. The same is true for many of us here on Hadit we have to take care of ourselves.

I was 21 years old and 1 week from my 23 birthday when my psychotic episodes began. I am working as a dishwasher pt-time at a restaurant on ssdi tke two antipsychotics and a anticonvulsant as a mood stabilizer. I am in individuaal therapy and special therapy.

Have you formally filed a claim yet?

If so what stage is it at?

HAs VA ever denied a claim on same basis in the past? What reasons did they give for denial?

"Actual words from the three panel, I had psychiatric symptoms that were adressed and more emerged during service while I was in correctional custody. There is a list attached and no I did not have schizoaffective disorder preservice. Preservice I was dx paranoid schizophrenic reaction at 15. Also it does state that I was aggravated beyond the natural course of the disease."

What impact did the correctional custody have on the character of your discharge-if any?

Were any aspects of this custody symptomatic of your disability?

Does your entrance exam take note of the past reactive episode?

Who were the mental health professionals?- I mean was this a MEP or PEB panel?

Did you receive a medical discharge?

PS -the wording "emerged" in the statement from this panel is critical as it appears to overcome a pre- existing condition,suggesting you were fit for duty and induction.

I just cant determine the source of this 'panel' here.