VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New To Tbi

Rate this question

bob barker

Question

I never new what TBI is until i came in this forum. i am a iraq vet that was involvedin several IED's and a c-4 blast that was VERY close and reverberated in-between buildings. i have been reading what side effects are associated with TBI and i feel i could have it. the symptoms that i have are PTSD, neck pain, mood/anger and ringing ears(that i know of). Now my question is how do i go about getting checked out for this? just go to my doctor and request a TBI screening?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yep, the tests can be stressfull. They are important though. I'm glad to hear you are being fully evaluated. The next step should be a treatment plan when your test results come back. I don't know wich VA facility your at but some are better than others. You might want to go to the AVBI forum and read about others experiences at different facilities or start a thread and ask about yours. They are very knowledgable about treatment options and VA programs that the VA doesn't fully disclose for TBI.

Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress.

Have you filed a claim for benifits yet? I think it's time to do so.

no i haven't filed a claim yet, after i have my follow up appointment i will.

my mri results came back. i don't have an appointment with a brain doc that can tell me WTF this means till dec <_< . one of the people helping me said i am in a very rare case because most TBI's don't show up on the MRI and mine did. i am going to file a claim but more importantly I WANT ANSWERS NOW about what is wrong with me.

Impression:

two tiny T2-weighted, hyperintense foci observed in the left frontal white matter which are nonspecific

probable 1.1 x 1.3 cm pineal cyst

slight asymmetry of the temporal horns of the ventricular system

my mri results came back. i don't have an appointment with a brain doc that can tell me WTF this means till dec :rolleyes: . one of the people helping me said i am in a very rare case because most TBI's don't show up on the MRI and mine did. i am going to file a claim but more importantly I WANT ANSWERS NOW about what is wrong with me.

Impression:

two tiny T2-weighted, hyperintense foci observed in the left frontal white matter which are nonspecific

probable 1.1 x 1.3 cm pineal cyst

slight asymmetry of the temporal horns of the ventricular system

Bob,

Sorry to hear the results of the MRI. I know it can be scary not knowing what's going on. The results of your neuropsych testing will tell you much more.

It's important that you see someone soon. TBI treatment is is imparitive early on. I'm afraid my injury was years old before being discovered and I don't have allot of treatment experience. I highly suggest you go to AVBI(I'll put in a link) and post in the forum. They are very well informed on treatment issues. They can help you contact the right people to get you proper treatment. In the least you could contact the DVBIC. You need answers now.

http://avbi.org/index.html Please go to the forums here and ask for treatment advice.

http://www.dvbic.org/ You can get allot of information through this site. I reccomend calling them and telling them your very worried about your results and that they are being way too slow to help you. Here is the number. 1-800-870-9244

Also, you need to find a very good VSO and someone needs to help you with the claims proccess. Yes, a VSO AND someone to help. Oh, AND Hadit. Those of us with TBI have faulty wiring, we need extra help even if we don't realize it.

my neuropsych testing results in a nut shell were average to above average except one test i scored ZERO in which was a demencha score. the docs said it must of been a my ptsd messing with my concentration. i have a appoiment on monday with a doctor, not a brain doc but hopefully he can answer my questions. i also have a appointment in Feb. for neurosurgery consult.

Thanks for the links

Bob,

Sorry to hear the results of the MRI. I know it can be scary not knowing what's going on. The results of your neuropsych testing will tell you much more.

It's important that you see someone soon. TBI treatment is is imparitive early on. I'm afraid my injury was years old before being discovered and I don't have allot of treatment experience. I highly suggest you go to AVBI(I'll put in a link) and post in the forum. They are very well informed on treatment issues. They can help you contact the right people to get you proper treatment. In the least you could contact the DVBIC. You need answers now.

http://avbi.org/index.html Please go to the forums here and ask for treatment advice.

http://www.dvbic.org/ You can get allot of information through this site. I reccomend calling them and telling them your very worried about your results and that they are being way too slow to help you. Here is the number. 1-800-870-9244

Also, you need to find a very good VSO and someone needs to help you with the claims proccess. Yes, a VSO AND someone to help. Oh, AND Hadit. Those of us with TBI have faulty wiring, we need extra help even if we don't realize it.