VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi Awarded..... Now What?

Rate this question

iraqx2

Question

As some of you may know, I was very fortunate and was awarded SSDI within 3 months of my claim. It is such a relief to have SS benefits and VA benefits kicking in while I am not working. I understand that there are so many other Vets fighting their claims right now and I wish them the best of luck. Needless to say, it has been a long battle to get these benefits and I feel that a big burden have been lifted from me.

Forgive me if I sound stupid but since being awarded SSDI.... ? What do I do now?? I am more familiar on how the VA works but not how SS works. It was stated that I am up for an exam every 3 years. Last week they sent me brochures on " back to work programs ", etc. I have been working since I was 16 years old. Do I try to go with their programs just to "remain under their radar"?

What do other people do after they are awarded SSDI? Do they usually remain on SSDI forever? What should I do or don't do while I am on SSDI? The benefit is a big help and I do want to keep it. As of now, no employer will hire me and it would be illogical to get any job paying less. I just do not what to lose it because I was not following some protocal.

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

First Congrats.

That is way it should work. Social Security will allow you to work but it can impact your VA TDIU. If you can work that would be good but you probably would lose the VA TDIU but keep a partial rating. No really good advice except be careful and take your time. Don't forget that SS and VA have rehab programs for retraining. VA probably bets cause they will pay for it and give you some extra money over 900 a month I think.

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, x2, here it is in a "nutshell":

Obviously, both the SSA and the VA consider you totally disabled (and UNemployable).

Now, if you want to go out, get a job, and prove them wrong...................well, then you obviously are NOT totally disabled and UNemployable.

You go with their "programs" and you will soon find "employment", if you can call it that, if that is what you want to do.

Lotsa luck on EVER getting SSA and TDIU again.

I guess this is where reality sets in...huh?

Oy Vey!

If you work and make less than 950 month then it won't affect your SS. If you go over that your automatically kicked into their program known as the trial work period. I think this lasts 9 months then your SS stops. You then have 36 months in case you stop work due to your disabilities. After that you have to go through the whole process again.

Don't attempt unless your totally sure you can continue working. Getting IU is a long arduous process and takes many vets many years to get plus all the benies that come with IU and PT.

Remember what got you IU, your unemployability then give it some SERIOUS thought if you really want to risk it.

DH

First Congrats.

That is way it should work. Social Security will allow you to work but it can impact your VA TDIU. If you can work that would be good but you probably would lose the VA TDIU but keep a partial rating. No really good advice except be careful and take your time. Don't forget that SS and VA have rehab programs for retraining. VA probably bets cause they will pay for it and give you some extra money over 900 a month I think.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are over 40 stay on SSD and IU. The over 40 crowd are not very hot items in the job market no matter what your qualifications. I say a show on CNN about all these very qualified workers who were over the age of 40 who got laid off and they were out of work for years. I am financially much better off being disabled than I was as a worker. What I get from the VA is just about equal to what my take home pay was from the post office.

Couldn't agree more John...If you're IU and SSD then you likely are pulling in around 4k month tax free. I know for me it would be hard finding a job that pays this in this market and taxes taken out on top of that.

DH

If you are over 40 stay on SSD and IU. The over 40 crowd are not very hot items in the job market no matter what your qualifications. I say a show on CNN about all these very qualified workers who were over the age of 40 who got laid off and they were out of work for years. I am financially much better off being disabled than I was as a worker. What I get from the VA is just about equal to what my take home pay was from the post office.