VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi Awarded..... Now What?

Rate this question

iraqx2

Question

As some of you may know, I was very fortunate and was awarded SSDI within 3 months of my claim. It is such a relief to have SS benefits and VA benefits kicking in while I am not working. I understand that there are so many other Vets fighting their claims right now and I wish them the best of luck. Needless to say, it has been a long battle to get these benefits and I feel that a big burden have been lifted from me.

Forgive me if I sound stupid but since being awarded SSDI.... ? What do I do now?? I am more familiar on how the VA works but not how SS works. It was stated that I am up for an exam every 3 years. Last week they sent me brochures on " back to work programs ", etc. I have been working since I was 16 years old. Do I try to go with their programs just to "remain under their radar"?

What do other people do after they are awarded SSDI? Do they usually remain on SSDI forever? What should I do or don't do while I am on SSDI? The benefit is a big help and I do want to keep it. As of now, no employer will hire me and it would be illogical to get any job paying less. I just do not what to lose it because I was not following some protocal.

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Ya know, I kavetch about the VA, sometimes too much. Yes, they are a pain in the tucuss. But, when all is said and done, when you have finally hopped thru their hoops, and, provided that you have a "good" claim, a verifiable claim, then, in most instances, you will be vindicated and you will be compensated (although, in my instance and in other's, it's hard to say when you are compensated "enough" for over 40+ years of pain and opportunities lost and "quality of life" that is missed).

But, all in all, I have been granted compensation whereas, if in another country, wellllllllll, I wouldn't want to be "there".

If I had it to do over again, I STILL wouldn't leave my country, as many did, to keep from serving, nor would I use the "dodges" that many used, to keep from serving, but, I'd do what I did, all over again:

I'd stand on my painted yellow "foot prints" as thousands of proud and scared young men and women have done.........and say "Thank you, G-d, for makin me an American! and thanks, taxpayers, for giving me the respect that we veterans deserve."

Semper Fi!..........semper fi

You're so correct Larry...Thank Gd that we are in America and that we have these benefits. Compared to many other Countries we are well taken care of.

DH

Ya know, I kavetch about the VA, sometimes too much. Yes, they are a pain in the tucuss. But, when all is said and done, when you have finally hopped thru their hoops, and, provided that you have a "good" claim, a verifiable claim, then, in most instances, you will be vindicated and you will be compensated (although, in my instance and in other's, it's hard to say when you are compensated "enough" for over 40+ years of pain and opportunities lost and "quality of life" that is missed).

But, all in all, I have been granted compensation whereas, if in another country, wellllllllll, I wouldn't want to be "there".

If I had it to do over again, I STILL wouldn't leave my country, as many did, to keep from serving, nor would I use the "dodges" that many used, to keep from serving, but, I'd do what I did, all over again:

I'd stand on my painted yellow "foot prints" as thousands of proud and scared young men and women have done.........and say "Thank you, G-d, for makin me an American! and thanks, taxpayers, for giving me the respect that we veterans deserve."

Semper Fi!..........semper fi

Larry, Darkhorse, Carlie, and others...Thank you for your suggestions. These comments are very valuable to me. Yes, you are correct, I fought so hard to get these benefits and would be foolish to attempt to work again. I could lose everything that I'd worked so hard for. I 'd previously went to so many job interviews in this tough economy with no such luck. I've actually recently stop searching. Nevertheless, I would probably lose any job again because my disabilities would be too of a barrier.

Unless I can find a job making over 70k a year, and a written garanteed that I will never lose my job, it would be more logical to just stay home and shut up.

One of the reason why I even ask is somewhat a feeling of guilt. I am doing better than some other disabled vets and other folks in this tough economy. I've always been a good worker and one that hopes on making a good high end money. Not no more.

I now must resign to the fact that I will never be rich. However, I will never be poor either.