VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Certified Copy Of Medical Records?

Rate this question

LILS

Question

When I send the VA a copy of my medical records for my initial SC claims, do the copies I send have to be certified copies? The records department copied all my medical records (normal copies; not certified) and then someone (not affiliated with the VA) said the copies are supposed to be certified. Someone else said they didn't need to be. Does anyone know the REAL answer to this? I hope I don't need everything re-copied and certified. Or could each individual VA dept have different rules? Thanks for any info!

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

They do not have to be certified. If your send the records do not sign and send in a 21-4132. They will send you one but do not sign it. If you do, they will have to go back out to your doctor for the same records. Its the law :D

• HadIt.com Elder
What is a 21-4132? I couldn't find the form to see what it is.

It's the "release of information" permission letter, from you to the VA, to the healthcare provider, giving the healthcare provider permission to release YOUR medical information to the VA. If you fill this out and sign it, then the VA will, naturally in the course of the daily grind, turn around and send it to the healthcare provider, regardless of whether they (the VA) have received the very information FROM YOU already, and they will send this form to your healthcare provider, requesting that your hcp send the info to the VA................here we go around the mulberry bush, the mulberrry bush, the mulberry bush.........and it will add about 2 months or 42 years to your claim process.

hope this enlightens you as to the meaning of the term "snafu"?

• HadIt.com Elder

In our defense, we don't know WHAT the private medical provider has in their possession, so we ask the vet for it. Remember, too, that the vet is putting their medical condition into contention; what happens if a vet just cherry picks the private medical records that are the most favorable? There may be some other medical evidence of the same condition from the provider that would shed a different light on the veteran's condition, that could turn a grant into a denial (or vice versa). It's far more likely to HELP your case if I've got all your relevant medical records from a private provider than it is to hurt your case.

But yes, it certainly doesn't help when our form letters pretty much say "Send us everything you have" at multiple steps along the process. If you think it sucks on your end, try being the one responsible for looking at every page of medical evidence trying to find the magic words that let me establish service connection or that will let me grant one level higher evaluation, and you've got three copies of the same things to look through... except they MAY not be identical copies, in that one of those sets may have additional evidence that's not in the other two. I dare not SKIP them, because what if the one piece of evidence I need is in there? But that's MY problem, not yours. I'd rather you send copies of what you have, and provide the 21-4142 so that we can go out to the doctor and get more (some of which may be duplicate) than run the risk of not having enough evidence to grant. Yes, going out and developing for private medical evidence takes a while and adds time, but that's the nature of the beast at this point.

No, your medical records don't have to be certified. We do want certified DD-214s and the like, though, for proof of service.

It's the "release of information" permission letter, from you to the VA, to the healthcare provider, giving the healthcare provider permission to release YOUR medical information to the VA. If you fill this out and sign it, then the VA will, naturally in the course of the daily grind, turn around and send it to the healthcare provider, regardless of whether they (the VA) have received the very information FROM YOU already, and they will send this form to your healthcare provider, requesting that your hcp send the info to the VA................here we go around the mulberry bush, the mulberrry bush, the mulberry bush.........and it will add about 2 months or 42 years to your claim process.

hope this enlightens you as to the meaning of the term "snafu"?

• HadIt.com Elder
In our defense, we don't know WHAT the private medical provider has in their possession, so we ask the vet for it. Remember, too, that the vet is putting their medical condition into contention; what happens if a vet just cherry picks the private medical records that are the most favorable? There may be some other medical evidence of the same condition from the provider that would shed a different light on the veteran's condition, that could turn a grant into a denial (or vice versa). It's far more likely to HELP your case if I've got all your relevant medical records from a private provider than it is to hurt your case.

But yes, it certainly doesn't help when our form letters pretty much say "Send us everything you have" at multiple steps along the process. If you think it sucks on your end, try being the one responsible for looking at every page of medical evidence trying to find the magic words that let me establish service connection or that will let me grant one level higher evaluation, and you've got three copies of the same things to look through... except they MAY not be identical copies, in that one of those sets may have additional evidence that's not in the other two. I dare not SKIP them, because what if the one piece of evidence I need is in there? But that's MY problem, not yours. I'd rather you send copies of what you have, and provide the 21-4142 so that we can go out to the doctor and get more (some of which may be duplicate) than run the risk of not having enough evidence to grant. Yes, going out and developing for private medical evidence takes a while and adds time, but that's the nature of the beast at this point.

No, your medical records don't have to be certified. We do want certified DD-214s and the like, though, for proof of service.

Good points, well made, and taken. And, I can see that it would be a "paper cabbage" on your end, also.