VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got Update On My

Rate this question

Berta

Question

They are actually working on my Burial allowance application and accrued benefits (so they say) and yet there was a note on the VA PC screen 'NOT to send me the 21-8924 form.

The Not might mean they are processing the form they have had since 1994 or maybe because they found out I went directly to REPS VA St Louis for them to process my REPS benefits.(VA form 21-8924)

It was almost encouraging.

Or maybe the ' Not send 'note was just for spite hoping I would not know I am eligible for REPS. :P

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
They are actually working on my Burial allowance application and accrued benefits (so they say) and yet there was a note on the VA PC screen 'NOT to send me the 21-8924 form.

The Not might mean they are processing the form they have had since 1994 or maybe because they found out I went directly to REPS VA St Louis for them to process my REPS benefits.(VA form 21-8924)

It was almost encouraging.

Or maybe the ' Not send 'note was just for spite hoping I would not know I am eligible for REPS. ;)

Berta, That REPS claim and supporting evidence was presumed received by V.A. on the date it was received by Social Security under 38 CFR 3.201 as it existed at the time of its receipt by Social Security. (See Murincsak v. Derwinski on hadit's main page coming into this site). REPS is the Restored Entitlement Program for Survivors and I believe you applied for that benefit from Social Security. Technically, receipt of this claim at Social Security may have meant that V.A. had a Duty to Assist you from the start of receipt of that claim in acquiring Rod's Social Security disability records in support of your pending claims for DIC and REPS, right?

Edited by deltaj

Delta -that rings a bell but I dont recall the reg-will post if I find it-

The REPS application was in my C file with my SSA letters since 1994.

It was the old app that was part of the 21-534 in those days.

The newer app only has a change of the form number-

I got tired of 4 months passing without the VA attempting to correct my award letter and I filed the REPS new app directly with REPS in St Louis.

It bothers me that the 800# said there is note on the screen Not to send me the REPS app-

maybe the man at REPS in St Louis called them and said I had already sent him all of the evidence.(SSA stuff etc)

Last time I got copy of my C file (2004 I think) it was all still in the file- I imagine a lot of the file has disappeared by now.

I save EVERYTHING-I have the original SSA awards etc from 1994 so whether VA destroyed them or not-I still have the evidence for REPS.

Adult children who continue their education beyond high school can also be eligible for REPS.

NVLSP always makes the point that REPS benefits can be due and payable decades after a veteran served if their death is service connected and the spouse who lost 2 years of SSA death benefits for caring for a minor child due to the Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1981.

When I mentioned my REPS application to my former Rep in 2003 he said You are not eligible for that.

I then asked him what the REPS benefit was.

He didnt have a single clue.

I sure wonder how many adult children and survivors of deceased veterans -death directly due to SC- have never been informed of their REPS eligibility.

I got a letter yesterday from VA that they are working on my claim-

they didnt say what claim- and the letter came from Philadelphia-

My C file is supposed to be with a DRO in Buffalo for the proper award letter to be prepared.

Maybe Philadelphia handles the Burial expense claim which they said they just got from me (which also has been in my c file for 14 years but I sent a new one in on that too)

Edited by Berta

I see no reason for the VA to tell a Veteran (or a widow) that they are "working" on their application for benefits. Instead of telling us how hard they are working on our application, why dont they simply complete it and send out our check?

If you hire someone to build you a house, do you need the builder to call you to tell you he is "working" on your home? Would you not rather see the walls go up and the roof go on?

We have heard enough promises from the VA...they are "working" on reducinng Veteran suicide, they are "working" on reducing claim backlog...I am tired of hearing about how hard the VA works...I am assuming these employees are getting paid (and bonuses..for "working" hard) and that they should be working for their checks..what I want to see is some RESULTS of their "work".

If they were producing results, no one would question whether or not they were working.

If the VA resuts are so dismal that they have to call the Veteran to tell him they are working, then there is a problem that needs fixed..we really are not interested in knowing whether VA employees are working or if they are playing video games on the computer..as long as they produce results. The VA is not producing results, so they have to tell us they are working.

I agree- when the Regional Counsel secretary told me the name of the counsel attorney who is "working on response " to my FTCA letter for offset refund-

I told her I dont want a response-I want the cash in my bank account.I added tell Jeff (I know this attorney) to make sure the letter is correct because if I dont like it I am whipping it off to Congressman Filner and BVA Chairman James Terry.

Established VA case law says I get offset refund as well as the BVA in a past decision they made to me-this was my evidence.This VA lawyer (who I have great respect for)rattled off the prohibition of duplication regs to me by phone a few months ago and I laughed-

because this is NOT an appropriate reg for him to even consider in my case.

I knew once I won I would have to fight for the money-

I have all the evidence I need so I dont mind fighting them. It has been my lifestyle for years anyhow.