VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nod Or Cue

Rate this question

Papa

Question

When I filed my initial claim for DMII the DAV SO ask for my doctor's name and phone number. The claim was denied as they did not seek the medical records as there was no address. I went back to the DAV SO and she filed a NOD. Received a call today from the DAV SO and was told that it could take up to 2 years. Should this been filed as a CUE, as it was just a clear error and mostlu on my part. Or, can we only file a CUE when the VA makes a mistake?

Papa

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Filethe NOD and proceed. The Rep you are talking to does not sound like the sharpest person and that is being nice.

Nod, present the evidence from the Doctor, get a copy yourself and submit it if you can. Dont rely on the VA to do anything, They use this as excuses to delay and deny your claim because it cost you waiting time. Dont play into their hands.

Do their job for them and help as much as you can.

Only use the VSO as a copy boy to send in info ( Afer you have already sent it) remember it is your claim and your livlihood. Dont depend on anyone else.

J

It will be quicker to send the medical documentation and ask for a reconsideration. That way it will go back to the rating board. You have a year to file a NOD. The reconsideration should be done in about 4 months. If it is not completed within your year to file the NOD then file the appeal.

There is no CUE. Although the SO appears to be a little lacking she is following the correct path.

Sharon is 100 percent correct in that you should obtain the record yourself and ask for the reconsideration. Simply attach the records, explain that your SO has already submitted a NOD, however, since there was a mix up with the medical records during the original review you are attaching them and asking that they reconsider the orginal rating as the records are now available and attached.

CUE is irrelevant, because it is within one year of your decision. If you file a NOD within a one year time period, then you need not meet the strict Cue standard. I agree with Sharon and clown man (you should file a Motion for Reconsideration), except that if your motion for reconsideration is not resolved in 11 month and 3 weeks, then file a NOD to preserve you appeal rights and make sure you do NOT have to meet the strict CUE standard.

Edited by broncovet

I sure concur with everyone here-

This is definitely a case where a Reconsideration Request is appropriate.

But mark your calendar for the NOD limiting date- one year after the date of the decision.

I mentioned here before a BVA case in which a vet rep sure did the right thing.(from DAV I think)

Vet filed Recon Request but he didn't file NOD within the year.

His rep however had sent a supporting statement to the VARO asking them to be sure to consider his statement as a NOD if the reconsideration request was not resolved within the NOD time frame.

The BVA considered the rep's statement to be formal NOD and they remanded the claim.Otherwise the vet would have been back at day one and would have lost his/her EED.

Unfortunately we dont get access to VARO decisions-I hope the vet succeeded on remand.

When I filed my initial claim for DMII the DAV SO ask for my doctor's name and phone number. The claim was denied as they did not seek the medical records as there was no address. I went back to the DAV SO and she filed a NOD. Received a call today from the DAV SO and was told that it could take up to 2 years. Should this been filed as a CUE, as it was just a clear error and mostlu on my part. Or, can we only file a CUE when the VA makes a mistake?

Papa

Papa,

When did you get this denial ?

carlie

Edited by carlie