VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bought New Laptop And Wireless Router

navydoc2

I bought a new laptop and the guy at Best Buy told me that I needed to buy a wire less router to get it to work i.e. get on ineternet. I followed the directions carefully and I am not able to get it to work. something about a firewall on the laptop prevention connection. Can anyone help me. Thanks. Wife wants to pay geek squad.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Disable the firewall. The firewall is there to protect your computer. These firewalls often interact with anti-virus programs, and you can't even get your email. If you have a good anti-virus program that should be enough. When I enable my firewall and virus protection I can't get anything from the internet. Windows has a firewall and many virus programs include a firewall. I remember a program called "black ice". It protected my computer from intruderes. It also raised hell with my email and my anti-virus protection. I am not a geek, but you do need a router for the laptop.

I was interested in wireless myself-and wanted to try it at my car dealer place when they changed my oil.They let customers use the PC in their waiting room and had just upgraded to wireless.But The Mouse was broke already-no one knew what to do about that.

I am on satelite access and my PC man definitely said don't go wireless on satelite--and he fixed me up with a brand new PC-regular tower, external hard drive and external 3 1/2-and 22 inch screen-and new printer scanner fax machine-

I stopped using IE too- Foxfire Mozilla seems faster.

My girl friend went through the same thing- his sole mate- she needed the router too for laptop.

and he didnt exactly install Vista at all-something is ready for it in the PC when they get the Vista kinks out.

I don't have Word but instead Office,Org which I like but everything seems different.

I did that John and it still won't work, on top of that when I switch to the router my desk top computer won't let me onto the internet. I may have to ask a geek pete don't want to but getting frustrated. Did your friend get it to work Berta?