VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bought New Laptop And Wireless Router

navydoc2

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not a certified geek per se, but i do have some experience with an alltel air card that i just upgraded to work with a router, only because i got my wife a netbook and she wanted to get on the internet at the same time i was on my laptop.

if it is just one laptop to get online, you didn't need a router, just an air card that is like a drone of a phone that dials up the internet like a phone dials up another user. mine cost about $60 a month from alltel and all i did was install the software from the disk and plug the air card into a usb port

when we decided to go with the router, this month, it was loading the router software onto my laptop and going from there. i STILL had to have the air card plugged into the router to get the internet signal. i do this because i'm in the sticks and dsl is not available. so, i'm wondering, just to ask the stupid question of which there is none except the one not asked.... do you have a dsl cable OR an air card going into your router? the router itself, from what i know about it, will not get you on the internet, it is merely a "splitter" that sends the signal to different computers within your LAN, or local access network. once that is achieved you can connect to it wirelessly, if you have the capability, or else have to hard-wire into it using the WAN port(s) of the router.

finally, when i programmed my router, it's a cyfre 3g wi-fi router (so it may be totally different from yours) the installation wizard got to a page where i had to insert my address (my air card's "phone" number @alltel.net. then it had a password which was "alltel", i think. anyway, i had to call my provider, alltel, to figure this out, they referred me to not just regular techs but the specialized geeks, way back in the building, i imagine.

now, this may have all been for naught, and nothing to do with your problem, which may simply be a firewall issue, but in case any of this helps anybody, this is my router experience.

...oh, and i can still use my air card in my usb port if i go mobile with my laptop. just disconnect it from the router and off we go.

of course, anybody without an air card or extra gadget like a router can go to a taco bell or other "hot spots" and just have their computer search for wi-fi signals.

hope this helps someone more than confuses. it is still mind-boggling to me how this works and i have to read and reread instructions and ask the techies to speak very slowly.

last thing, i switched the router to my desktop pc and now leave the router on (don't know if that's a good idea beyond power waste, but i'm in the sticks so drive-by info-stealers aren't a big concern, maybe they should be...)

when i tried to get my laptop to connect to the relocated router (with air card) it couldn't find it at first, but my laptop has a blue-light button by the power button that is a "wireless assistant". i turned it on and it found the router.

Doc- sounds like you may have more than one device trying to control your internet.

Do you have a cable modem, DSL, what?

The basics are- your internet connection coming from cable box would go to input of router, then you can plug in to router or use wireless connection.

I have dsl kelly, I thought it would be that easy but I have any idea what I'm doing wrong.

i'm not a certified geek per se, but i do have some experience with an alltel air card that i just upgraded to work with a router, only because i got my wife a netbook and she wanted to get on the internet at the same time i was on my laptop.

if it is just one laptop to get online, you didn't need a router, just an air card that is like a drone of a phone that dials up the internet like a phone dials up another user. mine cost about $60 a month from alltel and all i did was install the software from the disk and plug the air card into a usb port

when we decided to go with the router, this month, it was loading the router software onto my laptop and going from there. i STILL had to have the air card plugged into the router to get the internet signal. i do this because i'm in the sticks and dsl is not available. so, i'm wondering, just to ask the stupid question of which there is none except the one not asked.... do you have a dsl cable OR an air card going into your router? the router itself, from what i know about it, will not get you on the internet, it is merely a "splitter" that sends the signal to different computers within your LAN, or local access network. once that is achieved you can connect to it wirelessly, if you have the capability, or else have to hard-wire into it using the WAN port(s) of the router.

finally, when i programmed my router, it's a cyfre 3g wi-fi router (so it may be totally different from yours) the installation wizard got to a page where i had to insert my address (my air card's "phone" number @alltel.net. then it had a password which was "alltel", i think. anyway, i had to call my provider, alltel, to figure this out, they referred me to not just regular techs but the specialized geeks, way back in the building, i imagine.

now, this may have all been for naught, and nothing to do with your problem, which may simply be a firewall issue, but in case any of this helps anybody, this is my router experience.

...oh, and i can still use my air card in my usb port if i go mobile with my laptop. just disconnect it from the router and off we go.

of course, anybody without an air card or extra gadget like a router can go to a taco bell or other "hot spots" and just have their computer search for wi-fi signals.

hope this helps someone more than confuses. it is still mind-boggling to me how this works and i have to read and reread instructions and ask the techies to speak very slowly.

I started to go with the aircard but decided against it because I don't want a monthly payment, my wife will only be using the laptop at home anyway and if I take it to school then they like you said have wi fi access. I was getting a firewall message but now that i've disabled my firewall its still not working. So people can hack into your router and steal information, did not know that. thanks all who advised.

you can set security on your router pretty good, like a firewall. others can better advise. right now i don't have security turned on my router, but i don't live very close to anybody. i have heard of people stealing info, credit card info, passwords from one apartment to the other. it's not that hard to turn on the security settings.

also, i just tried to link my wife's nintendo dsi (internet capable) to the router and it found the router but would not connect. from the dsi i tried to find the router, like i had previously with my laptop. my router is now on my desktop pc like a server with the others "slaves" i think they are called. the message says: "unable to obtain an IP address. check your access point settings. so my next step is to try to find the dsi FROM the desktop pc through the router software instead of the other way around.

your problem may be similar in that you need to get your laptop searching for the router's specific ip address (mine came with it's own that started 192. with several other three-digit numbers after separated by dots. it might be a common ip address, not sure. OR you need to get your router (if attached to your desktop pc to call out to the router's specific ip address.

experts chime in any time.