VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cataracts

Rate this question

akwidow

Question

Dad is a WWII and ArmyNG retiree. He gets all his medical care at VAMC and pays co-pays for his meds, but nothing else is charged to him. He recently failed his vision test at the Motor Vehicle office when he went to renew his license, and after further examination at the VA clinic, he was found to have large cataracts. Does VC normally pay for this kind of surgery on a regular basis? I know they do not pay for glasses. I figured one of you would know the answer!

Thanks,

Akwidow

Edited by akwidow

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

He may have to make a copay. If he has Medicare many will do it free and better quality Docs for the most part.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the VA would pay for cataracts, but they have a high threshold for doing it. I would not let a VA doctor operate on my eyes. There are lots of very good eye doctors who take medicare and speak English in the bargain.

I had a eye exam last week at the VA and my glasses were free. I'm not sure about cataracts but the doctor did say I had started to get cataracts and that they didn't need to be removed yet.

Phil

Dad is a WWII and ArmyNG retiree. He gets all his medical care at VAMC and pays co-pays for his meds, but nothing else is charged to him. He recently failed his vision test at the Motor Vehicle office when he went to renew his license, and after further examination at the VA clinic, he was found to have large cataracts. Does VC normally pay for this kind of surgery on a regular basis? I know they do not pay for glasses. I figured one of you would know the answer!

Thanks,

Akwidow

Pete is right about the possibility of a co-pay with the VAMC and they do, do cataract surgery. However, if he is retired Nat.Guard he should be drawing retired pay(?). Also, if military retiree--probably has TriCare thru military retired system. If he has Tricare in addition to Medicare, I would think the two should pretty much cover the cost of cataract surgery at private hospital.

Edited by vmo

Yes the va does cataract surgery, but don't let them do your dads. I speak form experinece I am in the middle of a Federal tort claim due to damage due to my eye during surgery. If your dad has other means then go that route. The va will supply eye glasses if rated 10% or more.